Looking for the 1Password helper - WIndows 10 - Google Chrome - 1password 6

Options

Hi,
I've looked through the forums multiple times but I can't seem to find an answer. I keep getting the "Looking for the 1Password helper" error when trying to launch the Chrome extension. I have 1password 6 open (1password 6 for Windows Desktop App), however when I do click "try again" in Chrome I get a pop-up saying "You'll need a new app if you want to open this onepassword4-extension - Look for an app in the Store"

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and 1password 6, I did have 1password 4 installed prior but I never used it, and it has since been uninstalled (again, prior to downloading 1password 6 and Chrome)

thanks,
Owen

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: Whatever the latest one is
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• owen_last
    owen_last
    Community Member
    Options

Update - If I close 1password 6 via the system tray, and click the 1password browser extension in Chrome, it opens up 1password 6. After I type in my master password, it opens up as normal, however I still get the error message in chrome saying it can't find the 1Password helper.

If I go into the settings of 1password 6, it doesn't have any connected browsers but does have a Refused Connection Attempts;
    swi_fc by unidentified publisher , process ID 12168

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @owen_last,

Thank you for reaching out and providing details!

There is a neighbour thread with a similar issue. Could you please check it and specify what version of Chrome you have installed? Also, are you using any kind of anti-malware software on your Windows PC? Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• owen_last
    owen_last
    Community Member
    Options

Version 57.0.2987.98
    I'm using Sophos Endpoint Protection but the Policy in the Cloud.Sophos is configured exactly the same for everyone else in the Domain, and they don't have any issues.

thanks,
    Owen

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@owen_last: If you have Sophos, please try to follow the steps in this guide to configure it. Hopefully, it will work, but please keep us posted. Thanks!

• owen_last
    owen_last
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    It appears to have worked, however I can't understand why? we didn't need that setting for anyone running 1password 6 on any other machine?

thank you for getting it working, just a bit confusing...!

Owen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree. Honestly, you'd have to ask Sophos why it would only block 1Password on some PCs. Maybe they're trying to do something adaptive based on the setup. Fortunately, that guide should get it working on any machine if you run into trouble. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.