1Password 4 for Windows...view Notes in browser extensions?

Options

Is it possible to view a login's "notes" from within the browser extension? I save important data in the Notes section (I'm looking at you security questions). I'm using 1Password4 on Windows 10.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.618
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @btwonguy,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :+1:

I am afraid it is not possible to do that in the current version of 1Password 4 for Windows. Right now, you will have to open the main 1Password app to view Notes in your Login item.

We are working on a new version of 1Password for Windows, where it is possible to view Custom Fields in the browser extension, like that:

And I agree, it is much more convenient. This is 1Password 6 for Windows we are building from scratch. It is already available to download, but the thing is that it is focused on our 1Password accounts at the moment, so you will have to have one in order to use it. I would recommend you to take a closer look at them, because 1Password account has lots of advantages over local vaults used in 1Password 4:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope it helps. Please tell me if you have other questions, I will be happy to help. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, a 1Password account will not work for me. Nothing against AgileBits, but I will never trust the Cloud for the storage of my password database. This is the reason I do not use LastPass or another competitor. I am holding out hope that you guys are being honest in your message that local vaults will be coming to Windows in 1Password 6 eventually. I will wait patiently until that point. Thanks again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btownguy: You are very welcome! :+1:

I see where you are coming from, but I wanted to use this opportunity to tell you more about our accounts.

Our cloud is quite different from the others. Unlike competitors, we never have access to your Master Password (it is not stored on our servers), so we can't do a reset for you if you forget it. This zero knowledge works as an additional security feature – even if someone gets access to our servers, there will be no way for them to decrypt the data – there are no encryption keys stored there.

Moreover, when you have 1Password account, your data is encrypted by the Secret Key, in addition to your Master Password. It is also stored locally on your devices, only you have access to it. Together, they encrypt your data and keep it safe from attackers. Even if someone has your Master Password, they won’t be able to access your account as long as they don’t have your Secret Key. You can learn more about it on our website:

About your Secret Key

This security design makes our servers unattractive for attackers. Why bother hacking them, if you can't decrypt the data? Check this reply from Rob, where he talks about it in more detail and explains why Dropbox, for example, is more attractive target.

As for the status of local vaults on Windows, please read the quote from Dave, one of our founders, I mentioned in a different thread. It gives a good understanding of where we are right now and why.

I hope it helps. If you have any additional questions, we are here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.