Changing your password in 1Password 6 does not change your 1Password.com account's password

Options
gabe_mr
gabe_mr
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I updated my master password through 1Password 6, by going to Options > Security > Change Master Password. It worked, and when I turned off my computer and turned it back on again, 1Password asked for my master password and the new password went through.

However, I went to my.1password.com afterwards and attempted to log in through there, and that new password no longer worked. I tried the old password and that actually worked.

Furthermore, if I go through 1Password 6, and go to Accounts & Vaults > Sign in to 1Password account, then that also only works with the old password and not the new password.

Why is this happening?

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gabe_mr,

Thanks for writing in.

I apologize for the confusion. You didn't change the master password of your 1Password account, you've changed the password for the app's local database. It does not update any existing accounts you have. This is mentioned in the description of the Change Master Password setting:

If you want to change the password of your 1Password.com account, you have to change it on the 1Password.com web app. Once you do it there, 1Password 6 on your PC will prompt an authorization error, you can then update the password. If your master password is the same as the local database's password, 1Password will update the local database as well.

We do plan to link your local app's database against your first 1Password.com account but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• gabe_mr
    gabe_mr
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Thanks for the clarification @MikeT.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gabe_mr: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! Please contact us anytime in the future, we are always ready to help with any questions. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.