Since yesterday I keep getting Helper missing msg. Uninstalled Reinstalled extension multiple times

Options

Since yesterday in CHROME I have been getting Looking for 1Password Helper message and then Can't connect with 1Password. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extension multiple times. Even uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled. It DOES work in IE just fine. I am running Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit); 1Password Version 4.6.1.620 and the Extension is Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.3.90. I cannot figure out what the issue is. Can you please assist?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Helper Missing 1password4

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jgrausch,

Thanks for writing in.

For the future reference, do not reinstall the 1Password extension, it wouldn't help with this issue. 1Password Helper is a part of the main 1Password program, not your extension.

The issue is that 1Password extension cannot connect to 1Password Helper running on your computer. In 99% of the times, this is because a security program is blocking or interfering with this.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using?

• jgrausch
    jgrausch
    Community Member
    Options

For whatever it is worth I had changed my proxy a couple of days ago so I just changed it back as a wild try to fix this. After I did this went to Chrome and tried this again. This time I got the message looking for Helper then a few seconds later go the Verification number windows (matched of course) and it is now working.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @jgrausch,

That's great, thanks for letting us know. A proxy would definitely cause this because 1Password Helper is running on a localhost port (Websocket) to connect to your extension.

If you switch back to the other proxy server, make sure it excludes localhost traffic, so it doesn't proxy the 1Password extension traffic either.

The good news is that we're moving away from localhost and using Native Messaging in the 1Password 6.5 update for Chrome. We're waiting for a new 1Password extension stable update with the Native Messaging to be released but for now it is in the beta version.

This discussion has been closed.