1Password 4 support

Options

Hi,

I have some questions with regards to 1Password for Windows and have been confused with the situation of Windows & 1Passwords.

Background:
I use 1Password 4 on Windows & 1 Password iOS Application. Host my vault locally & sync them via WLAN. I have no intention of moving my vaults "online" or host them on any server-side, as I feel it would be a security compromise I am not willing to risk/take. (Up for argument, not point in case)

Issues:
I feel many of my Questions are basic, but browsing AgilBits website or support does not answer many of them - future & focus on 1Password4. If you refer to their website, there is almost no mention of the old 1Password 4, even in the FAQ (Which I thought would minimally have some info on it). I understand the need to publicity and focus on the newer and 'better' product - 1Password 6 & the 1Password for teams and family, but the lack of basic info on the older product a bit scary/worrying.

If not obvious, I feel that 1Password 4 has slight room for improvement and hasn't reached its full potential or a full potential of a local password manager. Hence when I see an issue or improvement, I would come here the support to find a solution or a feature request/suggested to show my support - in hopes it would be implemented; however, most of the support would be filled with 1Password 6 & the 1Password for teams and family or very old post of 1Password4 that would be usually replied with - it's a feature we plan on implementing in the future and never followed up on, hence my confusion

Don't get me wrong, I really do like 1Password. tried many password Managers and felt 1Pass suited me best. But it looks like the product I use / the product in my operating system is no longer a focus of the company and makes me wonder if I still should stick with 1Pass and hopefully future features would be implemented or I should start looking elsewhere.

My Questions:

1) What is the situation with 1Password 4? Is 1Password 4 still supported? Will it be supported in the future? Or will 1Password 4 be moved to the legacy (I see a legacy section)

• I do see updates, but mostly just new languages

2) If I have feature request/issues with 1Password 4, where do I post them/request them? Will they even be looked into?

2-1) Will tags show up in 1Passowrd 4 for windows? (Like how folders show up)
If you look here: More than 2 years ago it was requested. I see it implemented in 1Password 6 but not 4. But I have another whole set of question for 1Password 6 and the support for local Vaults, hence my issue. Makes me wonder if 1Password4 for windows is no longer a priority.

2-2) Currently if you have too many fields in an entry in 1Password 4, it would occupy the whole screen - hence unable to keep editing it.
Image Link (parts removed for privacy) - If you see in the image, the entry has already taken my whole screen from top till beyond the taskbar. And I no longer can click "ok" below or add more as I won't be able to edit them as they are off screen. This can be fixed with a scroll bar as seen in 1Password 6, but my Question is will a fix come to 1Password 4?
(I have formed a temporary workaround - create a virtual screen above my current and drag that window up into it so you may edit the fields below)

Thanks, sorry for long post.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Djothi,

Thanks for writing in, no need to apologize for the long post, it helps a lot.

1) What is the situation with 1Password 4? Is 1Password 4 still supported? Will it be supported in the future? Or will 1Password 4 be moved to the legacy (I see a legacy section)

1Password 4 is no longer available for new sales and is considered to be in maintenance support mode. We will ship security updates and minor changes but no new features.

We will continue to support our customers with 1Password 4 forever, we still support folks with 1Password 1.x for Windows and 1Password 3 for macOS, we don't drop customer support for older versions.

2) If I have feature request/issues with 1Password 4, where do I post them/request them? Will they even be looked into?

All new features are going to be in 1Password 6 only. We still want to hear your requests but you should not expect them to be available in 1Password 4. This is the right place to post the requests and yes, they will be taken into serious consideration.

2-1) Will tags show up in 1Passowrd 4 for windows? (Like how folders show up)

You can press Alt + Down in the search field on top right to see the list of tags but we're not going to redesign 1Password 4 at this stage, so this is only going to be in 1Password 6 from now on.

2-2) Currently if you have too many fields in an entry in 1Password 4, it would occupy the whole screen - hence unable to keep editing it.

That's part of the reason we're doing 1Password 6, to rebuild everything to make it more flexible. This is no longer an issue in 1Password 6 because it scrolls inline as you said. No, this is not coming to 1Password 4 because the UI doesn't allow us to add a scrollbar to that view because of the way it has to render multiple different UI components. Thus, why we've doing a brand new codebase with the latest UI technologies that is far more flexible.

However, for now, you can press Control + S to save the changes and re-edit, 1Password will do its best to compress the design to fit the screen for you.

We would like to add local vaults + licenses to 1Password 6 in the future, so you could upgrade to it but at this point, we're not working on it yet, we're only focusing on building up and improving 1Password 6 with 1Password.com first.

• ernestlee
    ernestlee
    Community Member
    Options

I was wondering about the future of 1Password Standalone clients as well since I am not comfortable about moving my data to an online account. I hope the development team looks into supporting non-cloud-based.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@ernestlee: Thank you for chipping in! :+1:

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use a 1Password account? If you have any security concerns, please share them with us, so we could talk about them. :) In the meantime, I would recommend you to take a look at our security model. Here is the right article:

About the 1Password security model

Thanks in advance! I will be looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.