1password account on Windows?

Options

I was prompted to upgrade my 1Password on Windows earlier this week, which I did. And now I'm running into a strange issue.

When I first launch 1password on Windows, I can type in my master password to unlock my vault as usual, everything works great. After that initial unlock, I'm greeted with a prompt I've never seen before to enter my 1Password Account details. I can't seem to view my vault at all, and the only way around it is to completely shutdown 1Password and relaunch, or use the 1Password Mini out of the taskbar.

My vaults are shared between all of the Windows & Macs within the house via a network share. 1Password on Mac is running just fine, and the second Windows machine (still running some version of 1Password 4), is working fine despite the old GUI.

So... obviously something changed and I missed the memo. Looked at a few help articles and they all seem to reference team accounts and secret keys, none of which I have. All I have is a license key for Windows, and a license file for Mac. How do I get back to a functioning application?

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Never mind... I think it just figured it out after browsing the "Accounts" discussions.

Version 6 on Windows, which I guess was in some sort of beta until recently, seems to require the new subscription model (which I didn't know existed until today). Version 6 on Mac seems to still be sold separately, but version 6 for Windows does not. What a total bummer.

New subscription model looks great, but security policies at work prevent me from storing vaults on 3rd party servers. So either I have to go through and spend a few hours splitting my vault between personal and professional, and somehow juggle two different vaults stored in two different locations on two different services. Or I go back to 1Password 4. Or just simply limit myself to using 1Password Mini.

Guess 1Password 4 is the best option. Not sure what I'll do after that inevitably stops working with some random Windows update. The thought of going back to encrypted flash drives with Excel files is terrible. What a bummer :|

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to hijack my own thread to ask a question on a different but related topic. If it is best to split this out to a different topic, feel free.

I searched around but there is a TON of confusion out there about what exactly 1Password 6 on Windows can do, and what 1Password 6 cannot do. Based on reading a few discussions... so far I have this:

• 1Password Account - WORKS
    • Local vaults - ?? Read-only?? It worked in beta but now it doesn't work??
    • Folder sync - ?? Works? Maybe?
    • Dropbox - ?? I think it used to work, but functionality removed in a recent version??

Am I remotely correct? Is there a knowledge-based article somewhere that gives this information? One would assume that 1Password 6 would relatively feature-parity with 1Password 4, and behave like it did during the beta, but I'm coming to learn that features were actually removed from 1Password 6 beta before it reached final release.

Regardless of my personal distaste for subscription software licensing.... I am still absolutely willing to pay for a 1Password subscription IF I can completely ignore the cloud vault functionality. But if 1Password 6 only supports cloud vaults... then... I guess I'll go drown my sorrow in cheesecake?

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I'm going to hijack my thread and ask a slightly different question on a related topic. If it is best to split this out into a different topic, please feel free to do so.

There seems to be a LOT of confusion around what 1Password 6 can and cannot do. A lot of it seems to stem from the fact that a lot of features there were available early during the 1Password 6 beta are now no longer possible. Overall, it seems like 1Password 6, as it stands right now, has less features than 1Password 4 (apparently due to a code rewrite).

But regardless, I haven't given up hope quite yet. From what I've read so far, this is what I've come up with.

• 1Password Accounts' "cloud vaults" - YES, fully supported
    • Local vaults - Read-only?? I think??
    • Folder Sync - Read/write during beta, now... ???
    • Dropbox - Used to be possible, but functionality was removed???

Am I at least close??

I am perfectly willing to pay for a subscription if and only if I can ignore the cloud vault functionality and use either local vaults or Folder Sync. I'd even pay double the cost of the subscription if it meant I could ignore cloud vaults, because 1Password is that good.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Ragnar_Kon,

Thanks for writing in.

This is likely a bug in 1Password 6.5 update, you should still be able to retain the previous local vault setup from 1Password 6.4. It shouldn't show you the account sign-in unless you explicitly want to sign in.

In 1Password 6.5, we've changed the welcome tour to require you to sign in before you can add a local vault for migrating the data. However, we've made sure that local vaults users are updated to 6.5 with the same setup, so it shouldn't enforce the requirement either. Only when you remove or reinstall the app, would you be required to sign in first.

To be clear, we still want to add local vaults to 1Password 6 for Windows down the line, it's a new program and we decided to focus on 1Password.com first because 1Password 4 exists with local vault support. The macOS version is based on a mature codebase that could be adapted to support 1Password.com service, which is the opposite of the Windows version.

Could you email me your diagnostics report, so we can figure out why it didn't migrate you correctly from 6.4 to 6.5? Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response MikeT. Apologies ahead of time for the numerous edited posts that are awaiting approval (you may ignore them). I was frustrated, but luckily the weekend has allowed a cooler head to prevail.

Yesterday I pulled one of my old system backups and retrieved the installer for a previous version (v6.3.xxxx). After installing 1Password v6.3 and then later upgrading to v6.5, the issue has returned.

I will pull the diagnostics report and move the conversation to the email.

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

DYY-34193-366

• aleavitt
    aleavitt
    Community Member
    Options

A co-worker and I are both seeing this issue with 6.5.401, Friday it seemed fine, this morning it won't let me past the sign in. To be clear, the sign in to the account prompt showed up before, but I could hit back and ignore it, now that doesn't work. The mini, and browser versions seem fine still.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Ragnar_Kon: Found your report. We will get back to you as soon as possible via email. Thanks! :+1:

ref: DYY-34193-366

@aleavitt: Could you also share a diagnostics report from us, so we could take a look at what is going on? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

Well... been 3 weeks or so and haven't heard back. Took a brief look at my spam box and didn't see anything. So I'm going to assume it got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Guess I'll stick with an older version of 1Password 6 until a newer version comes out with the same features that the old version had.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Ragnar_Kon,

This is really strange, as we sent you a reply on April 19. I've just resent it. Could you please check your inbox now? Thanks!

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Greg,

The date of the 19th was super helpful when it came to narrowing down my search in the spam folder.

It indeed was swept up by Google's spam filter. Odd considering the original automated response was not filtered, and the response you just resent also was not. Guess Google just doesn't like @MikeT. ;)

I'll have to check the spam settings across the email clients on all devices. My apologies.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ragnar_Kon: That is indeed very strange. Thank you for investigating! :+1:
    We have received a new email from you and get back to you soon. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.