Keeps trying to get me to sign in with 1password account

burn123
burn123
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The app keeps trying to get me to sign into a 1password account, and sometimes it does it right after I sign into my local vault. I can get out of this screen by clicking on Back in the top left, but it is rather annoying. Can this be changed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @burn123, in order to use 1Password 6 for Windows, you need to have a 1Password account. As you have found, you can migrate any local vaults using the import option. This is here so you can move your data from a vault over to a 1Password account. From there on you get to enjoy the great benefits of a 1Password membership. We do have a lot of great improvements ahead and you'll get to see these in future releases but you will definitely want to grab a 1Password account to make use of these. :+1:

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

But 1password works as a read only vault, and if I don't want an account, I shouldn't be continually asked. This has also only been since a recent update. I would very much appreciate if this wasn't happening.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@burn123: Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't think Benji realized that you were trying to use 1Password 6 for free with a read-only local vault. That said, you still shouldn't be prompted to sign in if you've already setup the app. That's a bug we're working to address. Just keep in mind that this isn't a use case we're designing for, and 1Password 6 is very much a work in progress — especially the beta version. So while that isn't the behaviour we want either, it would be best to use 1Password 4 with your local vault(s), as that's fully supported and won't be changing. Thanks for bringing this up!

• radioactive
    radioactive
    Community Member

This is really annoying, I have a local (albeit Dropbox-based) vault, I don't want a 1Password account.

I understand from a new revenue perspective the need to push people towards your own service, however why shut-out existing users by removing functionality? The Windows 1Password 4 has always been an afterthought, with a clunky interface. I was excited about an update to 1Password 6, but the sign-in screen has been so annoying that I've revered to v4 under Windows.

Can you please re-think forcing people to move to your subscription model? I'm happy to continue to support you development with one-off standalone license purchases every couple years, just don't want to get sucked into a perpetual agreement that ties me to Agilebits forever.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@radioactive: I'm sorry for the inconvenience and confusion there! As I mentioned in my previous post, having the sign in screen come up after setup has already been completed is a bug we're working to address. However, if you're using local vaults, 1Password 4 is the appropriate option as it has full support for local vaults, and you can continue using the version you've paid for. We won't be making changes to 1Password 4 to push people to subscriptions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu: Indeed, it isn't something we have to offer you, but thanks for letting us know. :blush:

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

@brenty With the most recent update, this problem persists, but I have noticed that sometimes the "Back" button doesn't do anything. I can fix the issue by killing 1password and resigning in, but it is rather annoying.

Also, I'm not sure if it was this common before, but whenever I close the main window and then open it back up, the sign in screen shows up.

• It's a known issue, we haven't fixed it yet. There's an extra check when it sees no account, to present the sign-in view. We need to fix the check to avoid presenting if there is a local vault instead.

• Hi @burn123,

Please try the 1Password 6.6 Beta 6 now, it should fix the issue.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

That seemed to fix it, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for confirming, and for your patience while we addressed that issue. :)

This discussion has been closed.