Cannot start the app as license cannot be entered (Win10)

Hi,
I moved from a Win7 to Win10 device, downloaded the app, installed it and opened it - now it asks for the new 1PW account code or offers a free trial. I want neither, I have an "old" standalone license. The help FAQ only points me where to find the license (have it handy already!), and then to go to "help" and enter it - but to go to help I need to go into the app.... Chicken vs egg problem.
Help is much appreciated! Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:license

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hello there @JP.x

Thank you for reaching out!

If you want to use your standalone license with a local vault, you want to download 1Password 4 for Windows, not 1Password 6. Here it is. 1Password 6 for Windows is a new app we are building from scratch and it is focused on our subscription-based 1Password.com accounts at the moment. By the way, 1Password account is the best way to use 1Password right now and you can learn more about its benefits on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope it is helpful. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Than you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• JP.x
    JP.x
    Community Member

Thanks... that was the problem, I had v6.

• Laskodi
    Laskodi
    Community Member

So 1Password 6 is intentionally broken for people who paid full-price for a standalone license, to force them to pay additionally, per-month, for continued service? This seems like a really shady business practice.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@JP.x: You are very welcome! Please reach out to us anytime, we are always ready to help. :+1:

@Laskodi: I am sorry to hear you've got such impression. The thing is that we are building 1Password 6 for Windows from the ground up, this is a completely new application. We decided to focus on 1Password accounts first, because 1Password 4 for Windows can't support them. This decision allows us to cover both use cases at the moment: standalone licenses and local vaults in 1Password 4 and subscription-based 1Password.com accounts in 1Password 6.

Our ultimate goal is to have one application on Windows. We are getting there, but it takes time. I hope for your understanding.
    If you are happy with a standalone license and a local vault, you can use a fully featured 1Password 4, we are not forcing you to subscribe.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to raise them, we are always here to help. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.