Is there a way to open a local vault in 1password 6 in windows?

Options

And no, I don't want to create an account with you guys, I just want to open the same vault I use on my macs.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dsaniel,

Thank you for reaching out!

If your license purchase included a Windows version, you should download 1Password 4 for Windows and use your local vault there. 1Password 4 is a full-featured app that supports local vaults.

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our subscription-based accounts and does not support local vaults at the moment. We believe that the account is the best experience you can have with 1Password and will be happy to answer all of the questions you might have about them. :) You can also learn more about the benefits on our website.

I hope it helps. We are always here for you if the confusion remains. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• nplveco
    nplveco
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg,

Timely post since I was looking to do something similar just this morning. I'm trying to get setup with 1p for Teams but have a pre-existing local vault using 1Password 4 for Windows, and would like these to coexist at least for the moment. Two questions:

1. Will there be any issues if I continue to use 1P 4 for local vaults AND 1P 6 for the Teams account(s)?
    2. How about browser extensions? Can I have both extensions installed in Chrome (for example), perhaps with different keyboard shortcuts for auto-fill, or is that not possible?
    3. Is there some other better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @nplveco,

Thank you for weighing in! :chuffed:

It is possible to use 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 at the same time, but they will fight to the attention of our browser extension, because we do not have two different extensions for each version, we have one extension, which connects to both apps. If you installed 1Password 6 and set up your 1Password account but don’t want to uninstall 1Password 4 just yet, a few settings are necessary to use the 1Password browser extension with 1Password 6 (and vice versa). Here is how you can do that:

How to use 1Password 6 while 1Password 4 is installed on your Windows PC

Please let me know if it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Dsaniel
    Dsaniel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Will 1Password 4 be able to open my version 6 vault from my macs? What features will I be missing?

• nplveco
    nplveco
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg, thanks for the reply. This is a helpful answer -- though the answer is not a great arrangement for Windows users who also have a local vault that for whatever reason simply cannot be put in Teams (due to policy or whatever other reason). Is there any plan for 1P 6 to support local vaults on Windows?

Also, my understanding is that a Mac user of 1p 6 CAN do this, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks for your reply. Will 1Password 4 be able to open my version 6 vault from my macs? What features will I be missing?

@Dsaniel: 1Password 4 cannot use 1Password.com accounts, only local vaults. 1Password.com accounts work only with 1Password 6, as the older codebase isn't capable of supporting this (which is why we're building the new app).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Greg, thanks for the reply. This is a helpful answer -- though the answer is not a great arrangement for Windows users who also have a local vault that for whatever reason simply cannot be put in Teams (due to policy or whatever other reason). Is there any plan for 1P 6 to support local vaults on Windows?

@nplveco: While ideally we'd like to be able to support both, right now our focus is on browser integration, so local vaults aren't something we're working on currently. And while I'm sorry that this makes things more difficult for your particular situation, but I hope you'll understand that this isn't a use case that we should design for, as most users either have a license and use 1Password 4 or a subscription and use 1Password 6. It's something we'd like to revisit in the future though.

Also, my understanding is that a Mac user of 1p 6 CAN do this, correct?

Correct. 1Password for Mac version 6 isn't something we had to build from scratch. It's the same codebase we started with version 4, so it already has full support for local vaults.

• Dsaniel
    Dsaniel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

Not sure I'm following you. I use my local vault in my macs with 1Password 6 (App Store current version). Is that vault compatible with 1Password 4 for windows?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dsaniel, it is me again. :)

If you are using a local vault in 1Password on your Mac, you should be able to use Dropbox to sync your data to 1Password 4 on Windows PC. However, please note that 1Password 4 is an old app and it will not receive any new features in the future.

I hope it helps. If you have additional questions, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.