End of Trial Options and Features Missing

Options

I have been using 1Password for a few years but decided to try my luck with an alternate product as I was considering using local WebDav Server. That did not pan out so I am back. I noticed the many references to Online account and 1Password 6 (Windows) etc and so after getting all my passwords successfully back into 1Password v4 I took the plunge and signed up for an Online Account. My trial started today.

On first glance the new GUI for Windows, Web Interface look great. I think it is still early days as simple features I would expect are not there and I will go into those shortly but my main concern is that having paid for the IOS App and Windows Licenses I have already invested in 1Password Standalone. It looks to me as though development is primarily focused on 1Password for Windows v6 and as I have seen no further development of v4 so I am looking to see what I can do at the end of the month if I decide to stick with v4 while the v6 release matures and either compels me to the subscription model or supports standalone. So please tell me - if I immerse myself in the new Online system and decide at the end to move back to Standalone - how do I re-sync my passwords back to a v4 supported system? If this is not possible I do not see how reasonably I can give this a serious trial as I will constantly be needing to copy passwords between systems. I would be grateful for some reasurances and guidance in this area.

Now as to features that I would have expected.
1) Folders has gone, no major issue there but you deployed Tags. So why not in the import give the option to convert Folders to Tags?
2) Tag filtering. Tags implies you can have multiple tags on an entry. If this is the case then a proper filter system ought to be deployed allowing to filter on 1st Tag, then 2nd Tag within 1st Tag etc rather than a simple - 1st Tag or 2nd Tag as there seems to be now.
3) Bulk Tagging. Given the lack of 1 I was searching for a way to select multiple entries and to Tag them - this also I could not find
4) Auto-Type - Where did this go - one of the features I came back to 1Password for just disappeared. Incredibly useful in v4 system click the capital I to the right of the Username or Password to enter into an application Window as presented by the Pop up - please bring it back.
5) Support for legacy format or update all apps to be able to sync the underlying v6 Sql database to disk/DropBox or even WebDav :)

It would be great to also get some feedback on the 5 items above to get a view on whether these are being worked and what timeline.

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: 1Password/DropBox (on v4)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@egooner: First of all, thanks for taking the time to reach out to share this feedback, and for your support! I'll do my best to answer your questions and address each of your concerns, but don't hesitate to ask additional questions, or for clarification.

if I immerse myself in the new Online system and decide at the end to move back to Standalone - how do I re-sync my passwords back to a v4 supported system?

It isn't as easy as we'd like it to be, and we'll continue to make improvements in this area. However, you can always export your data as CSV if you decide to move away from 1Password 6/1Password.com. I can't offer a time frame, as right now we're focused heavily on browser integration, but we definitely want to offer other options as well.

1) Folders has gone, no major issue there but you deployed Tags. So why not in the import give the option to convert Folders to Tags?

It isn't an option, but this feature was added in March for OPVault and AgileKeychain importing.

2) Tag filtering. Tags implies you can have multiple tags on an entry. If this is the case then a proper filter system ought to be deployed allowing to filter on 1st Tag, then 2nd Tag within 1st Tag etc rather than a simple - 1st Tag or 2nd Tag as there seems to be now.

That's something we'd like to add as we work on more advanced search features, as that's effectively refining a search (e.g. search for "folder 1" and filter the results by "folder a").

3) Bulk Tagging. Given the lack of 1 I was searching for a way to select multiple entries and to Tag them - this also I could not find

You're right. The tag support in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is still relatively basic. We'll be adding the ability to tag multiple items and edit tags directly (to rename to delete, for instance). This is needed.

4) Auto-Type - Where did this go - one of the features I came back to 1Password for just disappeared. Incredibly useful in v4 system click the capital I to the right of the Username or Password to enter into an application Window as presented by the Pop up - please bring it back.

I'm sorry to say this is probably longer-term, but we agree completely: Auto-Type is really a great power-user feature in 1Password 4. It's something we'd like to bring to 1Password 6 (and the Mac, though I can't promise that will be possible), but that's going to require additional development resources we don't have right now, and we need to focus on the features that benefit everyone first.

5) Support for legacy format or update all apps to be able to sync the underlying v6 Sql database to disk/DropBox or even WebDav :)

We have no plans to ever support WebDav. While we'd love to have full local vault support (and me? like, yesterday), it isn't something we're working on, as we have a lot more work to do that will benefit a greater number of users.

It would be great to also get some feedback on the 5 items above to get a view on whether these are being worked and what timeline.

I can't offer timelines on unreleased features. Most will almost certainly be added, but I can't guarantee that all of them will be, or that they won't be delayed as needed. You should judge 1Password on what it can offer you today. Where it falls short, we'll continue to work hard to make it better so that, if it doesn't meet your needs today, perhaps it can in the future. It sounds like you've been looking at it already to some extent, and I'd love to hear any other observations you have as you use it. :blush:

• egooner
    egooner
    Community Member
    Options

Surely the Web interface should give an option to export to your PIF format. Importing into 1P v4 using CSV is I believe very limited. It seems you are not encouraging people to try the new system with the confidence that they can roll back if not happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@egooner: I wouldn't go so far as to say "surely", but export is a feature we'd really like to add to the web client, as it would be more flexible and less duplication of effort across platforms. It sounds like you're trying to insinuate that the limited export options are intentional, but the fact remains that you've already pointed out several other areas where we need to improve the new app. So it's sort of a chicken and egg problem: Do we prioritize adding additional export options, making it not only easier for people to leave, but also resulting in fewer features (and therefore incentive) for those who stay? Or do we focus on adding the features you and others want so that all of us can have a good experience and not have a need for additional export options? Can't have it both ways, but we have made it possible to both export and use the app, and we'll continue to improve in all areas over time. Which would you like us to prioritize next? I can't make any promises, but we'll absolutely take it into consideration along with feedback of other users. :)

• egooner
    egooner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame - but I will roll back to 1P v4 for now while I can do it easily.

I have taken a look at Text and CSV and having had to roll back from another product into 1Pv4 and seeing how difficult that was (it took me a number of hours to write the code to do the comparison and then about 100 entries to sort through and convert) I do not want to have the same if at the end of the trial I decide to roll back. The formats of both Text and CSV would require more work on my side to resync and so I will stick with v4.

Given the information I have found online relating to people with questions around online vs standalone I do have reservations around 1Password's intent for their standalone users despite the comments made by 1Password staff. Only time will tell. I look forward to an upgrade of 1P that supports standalone usage - happy to pay an upgrade charge for new features if that's what it takes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame - but I will roll back to 1P v4 for now while I can do it easily.

@egooner: I understand completely. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now with regard to the features you're looking for. :(

I have taken a look at Text and CSV and having had to roll back from another product into 1Pv4 and seeing how difficult that was (it took me a number of hours to write the code to do the comparison and then about 100 entries to sort through and convert) I do not want to have the same if at the end of the trial I decide to roll back. The formats of both Text and CSV would require more work on my side to resync and so I will stick with v4.

I hear you. But you should definitely check out @MrC 's converter scripts, as they may save you from doing a lot of work to migrate your data.

Given the information I have found online relating to people with questions around online vs standalone I do have reservations around 1Password's intent for their standalone users despite the comments made by 1Password staff. Only time will tell. I look forward to an upgrade of 1P that supports standalone usage - happy to pay an upgrade charge for new features if that's what it takes.

Thanks for not only letting us know what you're looking for, but your willingness to support us! I'm sorry if 1Password 6 isn't a good fit for you right now, but I'm glad that 1Password 4 is...and we'll keep working hard to be able to offer you more in the future as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.