Chrome Extension password not in sync

Options

I have recently changed my master password through the 1Password website. However, when I use the chrome extension, it doesn't accept my new password; only the old one.

If I go to the 1Password website and sign in there, it only accepts my NEW password (which is expected). But using the extension, it only accepts my OLD password.

I have tried removing and reinstalling the extension but the error still happens. I'm running Windows 7.

How do I ensure that my NEW password is updated to the chrome extension?

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome plugin

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stepchook: Since the 1Password browser extensions don't have any data (and therefore nothing to decrypt using the Master Password), I suspect something else is going on here.

Which Master Password works to unlock the main 1Password app on your PC, the "old" one or the "new" one? I suspect the latter, since that's what controls the browser extension. If it's the "old" Master Password, it sounds like you just need to update it in the app to match what you changed it to on the website (in Settings > Options > Advanced).

Alternatively, you may have multiple versions of 1Password installed, so if you're still having trouble, take a look in Programs & Features and let me know what you find.

• stepchook
    stepchook
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: thanks for your help on this. You're spot on - the app needed updating as it was only accepting the old password.

I was hoping they would automatically synchronise but apparently not.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stepchook: Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. Glad that helped. :chuffed:

Since 1Password doesn't store your Master Password, it isn't possible for it to sync it to make this completely seamless. But we have ways we're going to use to improve this in a future version to save you the extra step. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.