Feedback for 1P.com & latest Windows client

Options
Cafeine
Cafeine
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

So, I did something the 1Password team loves to read about: I switched from my Dropbox vault to the online version @ 1Password.com, and on a family plan. But on trial only for now. I'm a Mac / iOS user but as a tech journalist & gamer, I extensively use Windows 10, Linux computers and Android devices too. I use about every browser on the planet FOR FUN. I'm a nightmare for multiplateform tools because I review and compare them everywhere. I already whined about 1P on Linux in another thread, let's talk 1P Windows. I also reviewed Dashlane & LastPass recently and the short version is that the market is still "open". None of those products are perfect.

On Windows, with the 1P.com sync + 1Password 6, things are way better. I still don't know why they are stalling the dropbox sync, but again, I already whined about it elsewhere. As under android, the sync is way faster. The detection for updating / creating logins is better even with browsers like Opera (Reborn) or Vivaldi (go get it, it's good).

We're still waiting for an Edge version of the plugin though (I know, it's coming, but an ETA would be cool. I guess you just don't want to miss Win10S launch anyway).

Stupid bugs still around: Vaults pictures not synced. For some reason I only have ONE vault pic updated on Windows. Not even the account pic is updated. Weird. And not a good user experience for your new users.

Password generator doesn't remember its settings. It can do it on Mac for years. You really need to work on this kind of feature parity...

Related to 1P.com, not just the Windows version: who really thought moving all the attachments into a "document" section was a good idea? Seriously guys. We need the "old" system too. 90% of the time you attach a doc to an account and you don't want things in 2 places. You want to be able to have everything where it belongs. The doc idea is good but not IN PLACE of the old system. Offer both at least. And btw I think the android version still don't have that... Took me 20 sec to understand why I missed so many items on the android version... Again, the lack of feature parity is a problem. Explaining why you can do something and NOT use it on another device is a deal breaker for many users.

I really like the online version and I dream of a time where we just need a badass extension to manage everything. But in the meantime, feature parity between the versions would be GREAT. Yes, even for the dropbox sync on Windows. :P

Thanks for reading my broken English and keep up the good work. Me (and many others) are using / loving this tool and that's why we can't go easy on you! ;)

1Password Version: Windows 6.5.401d
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: Win 10 fully patched
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

I use about every browser on the planet FOR FUN.

@Cafeine: Me too! I lol'd :lol:

I'm a nightmare for multiplateform tools because I review and compare them everywhere.

Your constructive criticism is most welcome! We're pretty much the same. That may surprise you and others who see deficiencies in 1Password and its consistency across platforms, but we see these deficiencies more than anyone.

On the one hand it sucks that we have to pick and choose what we work on...but on the other hand having some focus isn't a bad thing. It means saying "no" or "not now" to a lot of things, but given how young both 1Password.com and the new Windows app are, I think it's more important than ever. And while we've been working toward cross-platform parity for a while now, 1Password.com provides a good focal point for us to standardize things both under the hood and in the UI.

On Windows, with the 1P.com sync + 1Password 6, things are way better.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying this feature of 1Password.com! This is literally what got us started on the whole thing, and while there's still room for improvement (see below), I think it's really come together well.

We're still waiting for an Edge version of the plugin though (I know, it's coming, but an ETA would be cool. I guess you just don't want to miss Win10S launch anyway).

I can't offer a definitive time frame on this, as there's a lot that has to come together for this to happen, but it may be helpful to know that this is literally what we're working on as I write this; and, along with some other changes to browser integration which are necessary for Edge and others as well, this is the thing we're focused on right now — and not just on Windows.

Stupid bugs still around: Vaults pictures not synced. For some reason I only have ONE vault pic updated on Windows. Not even the account pic is updated. Weird. And not a good user experience for your new users.

Yeah, that is weird. I wonder if you perhaps changed some after signing in to the app, so that subsequent changes aren't pulled until we address this. Nevertheless, while syncing data is our top priority and what we've focused on implementing and testing, you're 100% right that this sort of thing is a blight on the user experience, so this is something we'll fix in an update.

Password generator doesn't remember its settings. It can do it on Mac for years. You really need to work on this kind of feature parity...

The strong password generator needs a lot of TLC yet, and while it should remember the sliders, it becomes forgetful with regard to "words". This is absolutely something (among others) we'll be overhauling to bring it in line with the Mac client.

Related to 1P.com, not just the Windows version: who really thought moving all the attachments into a "document" section was a good idea? Seriously guys. We need the "old" system too. 90% of the time you attach a doc to an account and you don't want things in 2 places. You want to be able to have everything where it belongs. The doc idea is good but not IN PLACE of the old system. Offer both at least.

I'm not sure we'll offer both, but this is a bit of a sticking point for us too. Many users (including us!) wanted to be able to securely store files, so this is something we jumped on when designing 1Password.com. And while this is incredibly useful and more flexible than attachments (link multiple items together? Yes, please!), there's a lot of room for improvement here. It may be that little changes behind the scenes, but we simply make the UI for this better. It's very much something we're passionate about as well.

And btw I think the android version still don't have that... Took me 20 sec to understand why I missed so many items on the android version... Again, the lack of feature parity is a problem. Explaining why you can do something and NOT use it on another device is a deal breaker for many users.

You're right, and I hate having to say "it doesn't have this feature yet", regardless of the context (we've got holes like this in all of the apps, though some more than others). But we have to be careful not to hide behind promises of features that could take a long time or potentially never ship. That said, I know this is a priority for 1Password for Android. We're in the middle of work on a few other big things there, but this is something we want sooner rather than later ourselves.

Thanks for reading my broken English and keep up the good work. Me (and many others) are using / loving this tool and that's why we can't go easy on you! ;)

You rock. Seriously. We're on the same page: we all want 1Password to be the best it can be — on all platforms — and see the work that's to be done ourselves. But an "outside" perspective is always appreciated, especially with regard to which features and improvements are most important to you. I think we're on the right track, and it sounds like you feel the same way. We'll continue to push harder to make our dreams a reality. :chuffed:

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that very long answer @brenty :) FYI, I can't fix the vault icons on Windows (tried to log out / log in / uninstall / reinstall) so I think it's a bug in the client since it's perfect everywhere else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cafeine: You're welcome! I tend to agree with you. This is definitely an issue in the new Windows app. No question about that. I was just speculating as to why some might have updated while others didn't. I really appreciate you following up to confirm that re-logging-in didn't make a difference in your case. We'll get this fixed! :)

This discussion has been closed.