Firefox - The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure.

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot download Firefox Macextension.

Comments

• dabees
    dabees
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. 1password 6.7.1 on a Macbook Air running Sierra 10.12.5. I've attempted to download the Firefox extension but repeatedly get the same message as BigDave56. I followed your instructions above to no avail. Do I have to use Chrome? In Chrome, the extension is version 4.6.5.90 Would appreciate your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dabees,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when trying to install the 1Password extension in Firefox! I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? You may have already checked that, but just to make sure, open Firefox and go to Firefox > About Firefox in the menu bar. The latest version is currently 53.0.3 - does that match what you see there?

Do you happen to use any antivirus, firewall, proxy, or other security software on your Mac? Certain apps or browser extensions like that can sometimes block the extension from being downloaded in Firefox. Make sure you check your extensions in Firefox (Tools > Add-ons) to see if something there might be causing this. If you're not sure, you can disable other extensions and then try again to install the 1Password extension.

Alternately, you can try downloading the Firefox extension from a different browser and then install it in Firefox:

• Open the following link in Safari or Chrome: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the link for Show all extensions.
    • Click the Install button for Firefox in order to download the extension.
    • Find the downloaded extension in your Downloads folder and drag it into a Firefox window.
    • Firefox should ask if you want to install the extension - click Install.

If you have trouble dragging the extension into a Firefox window, you can double-click the .xpi file that you downloaded. It should give you the option to Choose Application, and when you click that, a dialog will open so you can pick Firefox (if Firefox is grayed out, change the "Enable" popup menu to All Applications, and then you'll be able to choose Firefox).

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• dabees
    dabees
    Community Member
    Options

I checked and yes, I do have the latest version of Firefox. I feel a tad dumb because I do use Avast antivirus and it should have occurred to me to disable it - when I did, the extension downloaded flawlessly. Thanks for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @dabees! And no need to feel dumb - something like that can be easily overlooked. We've seen other cases where Avast turns out to be the culprit, so you're certainly not alone. ;) I'm very glad you were able to install the 1Password extension!

You should be all set, but if you have more questions, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.