Switching Focus To Application Window

Sometimes I don't notice that the 1Password app is open in the task bar, so I go to the system tray and try to open it from there. Sometimes, however, 1Password is already open, but buried beneath a bunch of other Windows.

Can you please make it so that if you try to open 1Password from the taskbar, even if it's already open, that it gains focus and surfaces above all other Windows?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.5.401d
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Surfacing Windows App Windows

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: Interesting. Can you give me a concrete example? For instance, it sounds to me like you're saying the following happens:

1. Open the main 1Password window
    2. Open another app on top of 1Password
    3. Click 1Password in the task bar
    4. 1Password stays behind the other app window(s)

But I'm just not seeing this. What I'm seeing in #4 is that clicking 1Password in the task bar (or right-clicking to open from the notification icon) puts 1Password back on top again. Let me know If I'm misunderstanding.

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

RE: #3, I misspoke. It's only when you try to open the app again from the system tray. Using the taskbar always works fine.

I said:

Can you please make it so that if you try to open 1Password from the taskbar, even if it's already open, that it gains focus and surfaces above all other Windows?

I meant :

Can you please make it so that if you try to open 1Password from the system tray, even if it's already open, that it gains focus and surfaces above all other Windows?

The critical part there is even if it's already open meaning that:

• The 1Password app is open
    • It's visible on the taskbar
    • But it's buried beneath other windows.

Upon right clicking the system tray icon and selecting Open 1password App the app is not brought back to the forefront and given focus.

Otherwise, your workflow is spot on, I'm just seeing different behavior than you. Please give me some time and I'll try to make a screencast.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@Jables: Aha, thanks for clarifying! I kind of suspected that's what you were getting at, which is why I tested that scenario and mentioned that as well:

What I'm seeing in #4 is that clicking 1Password in the task bar (or right-clicking to open from the notification icon) puts 1Password back on top again.

Upon right clicking the system tray icon and selecting Open 1password App the app is not brought back to the forefront and given focus.

Yeah that's what I thought and I'm just not seeing anything like that.

Otherwise, your workflow is spot on, I'm just seeing different behavior than you. Please give me some time and I'll try to make a screencast.

I totally believe you. I'm using the beta, so I'm wondering if this is something we fixed — perhaps without knowing it — at some point. That's the only obvious difference between our setups. Would you mind trying it to see if it helps?

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Yeah, I'm all about beta testing. Beta testing with the most sensitive application I run is a little anxiety inducing, but I'm sure you guys always keep security first even when developing the alphas and betas. I'll try it out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: Totally! I understand completely. While it's certainly possible that you may run into crashes or other bugs while using a prerelease version, we do put a lot of effort into testing internally before even a beta is released publicly. Some things slip past us, as we can't test every configuration/scenario, but we try to be really responsive, especially with showstoppers that get through.

But most importantly, you're right that 1Password's security model isn't in beta, so for the most part what we're changing is UI, features, and improving usability. And when we do need to make changes that impact security (for example adding a new security feature or improving an existing one), we're definitely extra careful. Whether it's your data or ours, we don't want to take any chances. And data integrity is just as important as security.

If it helps, the current 6.6 beta is fairly far along, and what we're focused on currently is browser integration. So even if you're able to just test it quickly to confirm whether or not you're seeing the same issue there, that may help narrow things down. :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Alright, @brenty

I've got the beta app and extension installed, and I got screencasting setup just for you. In this video, you'll see that I have PhpStorm running in the background, 1Password in the middle, and Photoshop in the foreground.

I switch between them so you can see they are all active windows, then return them to their original position and go through the exercise I described in the OP.

http://nebula.d.pr/XOn6C8

If 1Password is open, but does not have focus, trying to open the app from the system tray will not give the app focus and bring it to the foreground as you would expect from normal app behavior.

Clicking on the taskbar brings the 1Password app into focus properly.

In this scenario, it's not that big of a deal, because I only have three windows open and I can see 1Password. However, I frequently operate with a dozen or more application windows running, and have no idea where 1Password is. So, my goto workflow in the past with 1Password 4 was to double-click (or maybe it was right-click > open) on the system tray icon to find 1Password and get the information I need from it.

Are we on the same page now?

• Hi @Jables,

Thanks so much for that video! That's definitely a known issue, it is the same cause when you right-click on an item in 1Password mini to edit or view in 1Password, it didn't work consistently.

We are in fact reworking this window focusing handling entirely for the next major update (6.6 hopefully), it's why it is taking us much longer to release. It is possible we may not have it completely fixed in the first update but should be optimized further after it.

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Excellent news, @Miket. Thanks for the update, and looking forward to seeing the progress.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for bringing this up. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.