Does Native Messaging Host need to end process? 1Password 6 overrides v4

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am having issues getting back into 1Password 4.6.1.620. When I end 1Password 6 from the Systray, Native Messaging Host is still present in the Task Manager.

I am fine for the 2/3 of the time when 1Password 6 is active. It's the other 1/3 of the time that I have issues with now. Even when relaunching 1Password Helper (Agile1PAgent.exe), I am still inadvertently launching 1Password 6, not v4.

Sometimes, the reverse happens when 1Password 4 overrides 1Password 6 but it's less often now.

I am using Chrome v59.0.3071.86

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: Beta 4.6.7.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Thanks for writing in.

At this moment, yes, you must close both 1Password 6 program and the browser completely to stop the Native Messaging Host processes, so that the Chrome extension can fall back to the WebSocket protocol that 1Password 4 will use. Note that the Native Messaging Hosts are launched by the 1Password extension in the browser, not the main program.

The 1Password extension for Chrome is going to use Native Messaging first, so as long as one Native Messaging Host is running, it'll use that regardless of what version of 1Password is running on the computer.

We are aware of this issue with switching between 1Password 4 and 6 with Native Messaging and we are working on a solution for this, we'll have more details soon.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi

It does appear that 1Password 6 has overridden 1Password 4's ability to function with regard to the Chrome Extension. I can launch the App, but not through 1Password Extension v4.6.7.2 which is now predominantly v6.

At this moment, yes, you must close both 1Password 6 program and the browser completely to stop the Native Messaging Host processes, so that the Chrome extension can fall back to the WebSocket protocol that 1Password 4 will use. Note that the Native Messaging Hosts are launched by the 1Password extension in the browser, not the main program.

It isn't falling back as far as I can tell.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Did you restart 1Password Helper after closing 1Password 6 and web browsers? If it doesn't restart, 1Password extension will default to Native Messaging first even if 1Password 4 is running.

However, the good news is that we've just shipped a major beta update (4.6.1.BETA-621) to 1Password 4 bringing Native Messaging support.

I'd recommend installing the 1Password 4 beta update and when you open 1Password 4, go to the Help Menu > Advanced > Use Native Messaging protocol. This will update the registry entries for Chrome's Native Messaging to allow the 1Password extension to use 1Password 4 instead.

When you're done with 1Password 4, open 1Password 6 and go to the Options > Advanced and check the box next to Enable Messaging for Chrome, doing the same registry update. This switches it back to 1Password 6 and you should be able to see 1Password 6 show up for the 1Password extension in your browsers.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I did restart Agile1PAgent but nothing worked. I also force quit the 1Password Helper and restarted with the same result : 1Password 6 appearing instead of 1Password 4. Thanks for the update on v4.6.1.621.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem, can you let me know if you're willing to give 4.6.1.BETA-621 a try and let me know if it works?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@MikeT,

I've downloaded v4.6.1.621 and am testing it. It's working but I noticed a difference between v4.6.1.621 and v6 which is that in v4, Native Messaging Host is a toggle between that and Websockets but in v6, it isn't. I have unchecked Websockets in v6 and selected NMH.

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

That's great, thanks for letting me know.

We'll be fixing the difference in a future update or updates to both 1Password versions. We plan to phase out WebSockets first, so we'll need to change the UI once more to allow the compatibility between both versions.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you. I have noticed that the solution doesn't survive a cold boot, however. If I shut down the PC, whatever changes done to 1Password v4 and v6 is undone?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

That shouldn't happen since we don't update the registry upon reboot, meaning whatever the registry has before you shut down should be the same when you boot up. I'll test and see what happens.

Just to be clear, are both 1Password apps set to start upon reboots?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I halve never made 1Password to be in the Startup folder.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have noticed after checking NMH and Websockets being unchecked, that both boxes are unchecked at startup in v6.

Task Manager is showing the Native Messaging Host being checked even if it is unchecked in 1Password v6.

Native Messaging Host is presently checked in 1Password v4.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I have just gotten a 1PAgileAgent crash log that I would like to send via email.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I halve never made 1Password to be in the Startup folder.

It doesn't need to be in Startup folder, though. We don't use that folder. If you reinstall 1Password or enable the option in 1Password settings, it will use the registry to launch itself upon reboots.

I have noticed after checking NMH and Websockets being unchecked, that both boxes are unchecked at startup in v6.

That's good.

Task Manager is showing the Native Messaging Host being checked even if it is unchecked in 1Password v6.
    Native Messaging Host is presently checked in 1Password v4.

Did you check where the 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe was launched from? This is likely from 1Password 4, not 1Password 6.

It's the same 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe file for both 1Password versions.

I have just gotten a 1PAgileAgent crash log that I would like to send via email.

Please send it to support+windows@agilebits.com.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Can you confirm what version of 1Password 6 you're using? We made some adjustments that may help in 1Password 6.6.438 beta update that was just released a few minutes ago.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

MikeT,

I wasn't aware that an update was available. I am still on v6.5.401.

Did you check where the 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe was launched from? This is likely from 1Password 4, not 1Password 6.

It's from 1Password 4.

Crash log sent. Support ID : [#LXN-19252-475]

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I am not in the Beta channel and downloading v6.6.438 actually downloads v6.5.401.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

If you are interested in trying the latest beta out, here is how you can join.

As for the crash log, we have found it on our side and will get back to you via email as soon as possible. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: LXN-19252-475

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Greg. I've already replied to the email.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg,

I've run into the issue of 1Password Extension failing to work again. And as I was typing this comment, going back to Google, it started to work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know. We're working on a few improvements there. Stay tuned for updates! :)

This discussion has been closed.