New password not working on 1Password6 app

Options

I downloaded 1Password last week but due to a possible hack on my computer deleted it right away. I have re-downloaded the program today and had no issues until I attempted to download the 1Password app for windows.

It does not accept my new password. I am sure that I have it correct and have tried several times. I believe that I uninstalled everything that related to 1Password before attempting to download the program again, including apps and extensions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ~ a new user :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Got 1Pw last week then deleted it. Downloaded today but new password not working on 1Password6 app

Comments

• kathfish
    kathfish
    Community Member
    Options

More info:
    My 1Password Account is set up and ready to go.
    Attempting to download 1PasswordSetup-6.5.401
    OS Windows 7
    I have also cleared all cache and cookies.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kathfish: It sounds like you may have setup multiple 1Password vaults/accounts with different; Master Passwords. You will have to use the correct one or it will not work. There just isn't any way around that. Can you clarify what you were using previously, especially the 1Password version? Knowing whether you were using the standalone 1Password app with a local vault or a 1Password.com account may help us offer better suggestions of how you might proceed. Thanks in advance! :)

• kathfish
    kathfish
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Both times I used a 1Password.com account. I attempted to delete EVERYTHING that had to do with 1Password before attempting to re-download. In essence I did set up different accounts with different Master Passwords, are you saying that I need to use my new password for the 1Password.com account and my first password I created for the app?

Okay, I got in using my first password! Yay! However it is the account I want deleted as it is not connected to my new account. I am going to attempt to delete my first account and try again. Fingers crossed.

Well, I did get in and DELETE my first account however still unable to get the app to sync with my new account after signing in.

~ new user still needing help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kathfish: Great! I think we're on the right track. Since 1Password can only unlock using a single Master Password, it will use the one for the first vault/account you added there.

Are you able to sign in to 1Password.com in your web browser and see all of your data there? If so, it should be fairly straightforward to start over with the app and get things setup with that. Let me know!

• kathfish
    kathfish
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

1password.NamedA.com (example) has been deleted. When I sign into account is says deleted, When trying to get the app the password box appears, type old password and is says account deleted.

When I sign into 1password.NamedB.com my vaults are there and so is my progress. However the next thing on the checklist is "Get the Apps". So I download app for windows and up pops a box requesting only PASSWORD. My current password for account 1password.NamedB.com does not work with the 1password6 app.

I never loaded any logins, passwords etc into my second account. I am STUCK. Should I change my master password from the My Profile, Manage sign in details? Afraid of messing things up worse than they are.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kathfish,

Sorry for this ongoing confusion!

If you can sign in to your active account at 1Password.com, there is no need to change your Master Password. Please try to follow the steps in this guide to start over with 1Password 6 app on your PC. You should be able to sign in to your account in the app after that.

Please let us know how it goes. We will be looking forward to your reply! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• kathfish
    kathfish
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sorry to be so dumb, but where is the "notification area"? Thank you so much for helping me. - Never mind I just skipped that step and went to #2 and it worked.

THANKS!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kathfish,

Am I right to understand that you are all set now? Please let us know. :chuffed: Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@kathfish: And in case it helps you or anyone else in the future, the "notification area" (which used to be called the "system tray" or "status area") is the place in the lower right corner of the screen in Windows where (by default) menu icons for running apps can be displayed (next to the date, time, etc.) And you're definitely not dumb for not knowing this. It isn't obvious, and Microsoft has changed the name multiple times. Cheers! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.