iOS Restrictions App Rating 17+ [1Browser: built-in browser mandates this App Store rating]

Options

Comments

• Inner
    Inner
    Community Member
    Options

Surely if the browser is disabled for people less than 17+, then the app can be rated lower? Makes no sense there is no feedback mechanism to allow this. Maybe Apple needs a suggestion...... :)

• rudy
    edited August 2018
    Options

@inner,

Unfortunately they treat the app as a whole and not as something that you can apply certain age restrictions to certain features, even though the developer documentation does show how to check the age restriction value.

So the overall rating on the app is the highest rating any feature in said app would garner.

• Inner
    Inner
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely time for a word with Apple, so I have left feedback :)

Personally I stopped using the browser a long time ago, particularly after you could share the passwords to Safari. This makes it rather frustrating that a legacy feature is stopping families from using the app. It's your future generations that can't access it - surely that has an impact on future sales, which at some point the numbers must overcome the number of people still using the feature?

• Ben
    Options

I would imagine you may be right, though there are a lot of customers who wouldn’t view 1Browser as legacy. Many prefer the experience with 1Browser to using Safari.

Ben

• JMcClane72
    JMcClane72
    Community Member
    Options

now as the new password autofill feature in iOS 12 is available, I would highly appreciate it, if you would remove the 1Browser and therefore get a lower age rating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly possible, but maybe it's best to wait a bit and see. iOS 12 was released a matter of hours ago. :tongue:

• smtx
    smtx
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to allow access to their account by having 1password login through a safari browser page on their iphone?

• @smtx

If you're using 1Password Families that would be possible, yes. The sign-in address for your membership will be on each person's Emergency Kit.

Ben

• smtx
    smtx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! At least that gets him to look at the passwords he saves. I can create a keyboard shortcut for his secret key I guess....

• You're welcome.

I can create a keyboard shortcut for his secret key I guess....

That shouldn't be necessary. Safari should remember it.

Ben

• smtx
    smtx
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct. It did. Thanks

• Excellent. You’re welcome. :)

Ben

• bebe
    bebe
    Community Member
    Options

Being unable to use 1password to actually share passwords with family is starting to be a real show-stopper for my family. :( (BTW, entire “SHARE WITH TEAMS AND FAMILIES” section in 1password’s description in iOS App Store could be found extremely misleading, as you actually can’t share anything with underage part of your family.)

Again, why exactly can’t you implement browser restrictions in 1Browser using Apple’s API in iOS 12?

And if the only reason to actually keep 1Browser alive is so some customers can open web pages from 1password - and given that now Safari supports plugins and password managers integration - why can’t 1Browser be replaced with “open in Safari” option, which would just accomplish that?

• Ben
    Options

Apples rules are such that if we include a web browser that allows access to arbitrary web pages the app has to be rated 17+. We may reconsider removal of 1Browser at some point but it is currently the only way "Go & Fill" can be acheved and there is a not-insignificant portion of the 1Password customer base that doesn't know that any other way of using 1Password exists. Removing it right now would likely cause much more frustration than the 17+ restriction has (though I do personally agree with you -- it would be better if we could do that).

Ben

• bilbomacuser
    bilbomacuser
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to encourage my children to use a password manager, so it's very frustrating that they cannot use 1Password.

Also, I never use the browser functionality within 1Password and would be very happy if it was removed from the app so that it can be rated for a suitable age, ie. 4+. Now that iOS integrates password managers so much better, I really cannot see why 1Password needs a browser.

• bilbomacuser
    bilbomacuser
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

"Removing it right now would likely cause much more frustration than the 17+ restriction has"

The current restriction prevents my children from using 1Password at all (including its core functionality as a password manager). Removing the browser wouldn't stop it being a password manager. Core functionality for all, more important than an unnecessary feature that duplicates core functionality of the iPhone.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019
    Options

@bilbomacuser

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this. One solution you might consider is disabling age restrictions but using the Family Sharing features so that your children have to have any apps they install approved by a parent.

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Ben

• kiyose
    kiyose
    Community Member
    Options

This is still an issue. I would love it if you had a companion app for kids. We have the family account and i would love for my kid to be able to access her vault w/o opening restrictions. Yes i know there is a work around but its a hack and I don’t want to open her phone up to 17+. I would rather teach good password hygene.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

The only way that Open & Fill can work on iOS/iPadOS at present is to have a built-in browser in which to open URLs, which allows 1Password to also fill after doing so. While I'd love for 1Browser to no longer be needed, I will continue to advocate for keeping it until we have another solution for Open & Fill, since that's used by many users, and what people are used to from our desktop apps as well. Using Ask to Buy as Ben suggested above only allows kids to download a "17+" app if you explicitly approve it for them on a case-by-case basis. And rather than being a hack, it's a great feature Apple's given families to use for just this sort of situation: explicitly allowing the use of certain apps while still disallowing others. Using that, you can "have your cake and eat it too": teaching good password hygiene without allowing kids to install anything else without permission.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@kiyose when my daughter was under 17 and she had this, I just changed her birthday in her iTunes account. I think she was 17 for 2-3 years :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I never would have though of that. I wonder if you could do the opposite as well -- make them younger each year to keep the parental controls. :lol:

• fishdry
    fishdry
    Community Member
    Options

I thought that Open & Fill had been superceded by using 1Password as an AutoFill Passwords provider (in Passwords & Accounts)?

But I've finally come around to disabling the age restriction because it simply isn't implemented very well on iOS/iPadOS:

• You can still see every app in the AppStore, only the Get button is greyed out.
    • You still have to have the AppStore enabled (Installing Apps: Allowed) if you want apps to be updated (otherwise they're not updated).
    • A child account must have entering a password to "buy" apps or in-app purchases and passwords are too complicated for younger kids.
    • Ask to buy is an option.

I'm still a little surprised that it's so difficult to split the password management and browser functionality so that there could be a password management only version of 1Password. (but then I can't use Xcode for long before becoming very confused and falling back to vim).

I was also surprised to see Netflix is rated 4+ given the default sign in options mean all film/shows are available whatever the rating. It may be locked behind a login but then so is 1Password.

Anyway, I've given up on this feature request. Unsubscribe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I thought that Open & Fill had been superceded by using 1Password as an AutoFill Passwords provider (in Passwords & Accounts)?

@fishdry: Although iOS Password Autofill is really convenient in a lot of situations -- especially signing into apps -- it offers no help with regard to Open & Fill. Just to make sure we're on the same page, this Open & Fill is:

1. Tap/click the website URL in a Login item
    2. 1Password opens the page
    3. 1Password fills the saved login credentials

The only thing Autofill does is, like it says on the tin, fill credentials. It offers no facility for opening webpages, or doing "macro" actions such as filling credentials afterward. That's why 1Browser is useful for a lot of people even now. :)

Anyway, you make some really good points about parental controls. While some people still find the simple age restrictions useful, and those were once the only option, for many people the newer "Ask to Buy" functionality is more powerful/flexible without sacrificing.

At the end of the day, I think that having multiple 1Password apps in the App Store would be confusing. Heck, it was back in the day when we did (for very different reasons). We'll continue to work to support additional features Apple introduces though, for example if they make it possible to lock specific functionality behind parental controls.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    An idea. How about putting parental controls in 1Password? If a kid has 1Password, the parent can put a 4 digit PIN and this stops the built in browser from working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime:

That might be an option, but the age requirement in the app store would remain the same, so I am not sure if this would be a definitive solution.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana i used the built in browser before Apple improved things for passwords. I love the app and I even gave a presentation a few weeks ago how apps like this can help people. I love the Family Plan, but how can family truly use it if kids can’t download the app? Isn’t that defeating the point of the Family Subscription?

I know if you guys remove the built is browser people will complain, but I think kids who use this app and learn the safety of unique passwords will outweigh the complainers.

When my daughter was under 17, I just changed her age in iTunes so she can use this app. But not all parents are comfortable doing this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: Totally. We don't have a way for a parent to be able to do that on their device and affect the child's though, so they would literally have to go into 1Password on the child's device in order to setup such a restriction. Awkward at best. I'm not sure that's really an improvement.

• kiyose
    kiyose
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, thanks for the thought on using Ask to Buy. It was a good work around, unfortunately this isn't the case with the latest OS. We have the app on her phone and it is visible when the restrictions are removed and becomes "invisible" when the restriction is turned on.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@kiyose with the ask to buy, you can leave the restrictions off, because they can’t buy anything unless they get your permission.

This discussion has been closed.