Laptop PC Not Syncing

Options

1Password6 on my PC laptop stops syncing several times a day, even though my Internet connection is good and has been continuously available. If I disconnect from the Internet and then reconnect it syncs immediately. Also, if I kill the 1Password6 application and then restart it syncs immediately. Of course it also syncs if I reboot. What might be going on to cause this?

I tried to search the knowledge base and the forum but most of the hits seem to be related to 1Password version 4. If there are answers there to what I am experiencing I didn't find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CharlieKe

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password6 Sync
Referrer: forum-search:syncing

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CharlieKe,

Thank you for reaching out! The situation is indeed very strange.

First of all, please try to lock and unlock 1Password 6 and see if it syncs after that. Secondly, could you please specify the following:

• Are you using any kind of vpn/proxy on your laptop?
    • Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Thanks in advance! :+1: We will be looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
    Greg

• CharlieKe
    CharlieKe
    Community Member
    Options

We have two identical laptops (Dell XPS-13) running the application and both have exhibited this syncing issue.

I do not use any VPN or proxy.
    I only use Windows 10 Defender and no third party antivirus software on this laptop.

I have tried locking/unlocking and that didn't seem to help.

Disconnecting and reconnecting to the Internet (even though it is working fine otherwise), killing the application in task manager and restarting it, or rebooting the PC all seem to get it syncing again.

(Q. Is there a "logout" function in the application? I know there is one in the web version but I don't see one in the application.)

This morning one laptop was syncing fine and the other was not, until I disconnected and reconnected to the Internet. I did save the diagnostic report while it was not syncing. Would that be helpful? If so how would I send that to you?

Thanks.

CharlieKe

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CharlieKe,

That sounds like a network issue where it times out and 1Password may not be able to reconnect right away. We have seen this before but we were not able to reproduce it.

Please do email us that report to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

(Q. Is there a "logout" function in the application? I know there is one in the web version but I don't see one in the application.)

Yes, but keep in mind that you shouldn't be doing this all the time in the offline desktop/mobile apps because you're actually removing the local copy of your data and re-downloading everything when you sign back in. There's a difference between a web site and offline desktop/mobile apps, you don't sign in/out the same way.

To sign out of your 1Password account to remove it from the local app's database, unlock 1Password and go to the Settings to select Accounts & Vaults, expand the menu for the account you want to sign out and you'll see the Sign out option.

• CharlieKe
    CharlieKe
    Community Member
    Options

The file has been sent. I look forward to hearing more.

So logging out or signing out has a completely different effect that one might expect in that the local database is deleted. Wow! So that means that if someone signs out and then later tries to sign in without Internet access then it will not work, right? This also is very different (I assume) from killing the application with task manager or simply rebooting the PC. Exactly what does the option "start 1Password when I sign into Windows" do? Is that any different from not having that box checked and then signing in manually after Windows starts?

Charlie

• CharlieKe
    CharlieKe
    Community Member
    Options

From email received after sending file, support ID #DBF-54781-554.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CharlieKe,

So logging out or signing out has a completely different effect that one might expect in that the local database is deleted. Wow! So that means that if someone signs out and then later tries to sign in without Internet access then it will not work, right?

That is correct. Also, if you log into 1Password.com in a web browser from a different computer, you can de-authorize specific devices and 1Password will remove the data from these devices. This is great if you lost the computer and you can de-authorize it, so that as soon as the 1Password program starts on that computer, it is instantly removed once it can connect to the internet, even prior to any attempt to guess the password.

This also is very different (I assume) from killing the application with task manager or simply rebooting the PC.

Yes, that'll just lock down the database, so you have to unlock it with the main password when you start the program.

Exactly what does the option "start 1Password when I sign into Windows" do? Is that any different from not having that box checked and then signing in manually after Windows starts?

It starts the 1Password program in the background, so that you can use 1Password mini with your web browsers without having to open the program first.

Note that you're unlocking 1Password database, not signing in. When you unlock, 1Password will use your stored data to sign in automatically to sync data with 1Password.com. That's why you don't need to enter your account key as well and why the website is different.

From email received after sending file, support ID #DBF-54781-554.

Thanks, we'll reply to that email as soon as possible.

ref: DBF-54781-554

• CharlieKe
    CharlieKe
    Community Member
    Options

Great explanations. Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.