Migrating attachments

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: What's going on with 1Password 4 and local accounts?.

Comments

• Ixofje
    Ixofje
    Community Member
    Options

I tried v6 for Windows yesterday and must say i am very disappointed.

Transfer of of passwords from v4 was quite easy, but none of the attached files have been transferred.
    It seems like this isn't available anymore. Uploading documents is supported, however you can not bind them to Password-Items.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ixofje: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can work on getting things sorted out for you.

While 1Password 6 cannot read attachments and therefore won't be able to import them directly, you can export them and bulk-upload them as Documents in 1Password 6:

In 1Password 4, if you have only a few attachments, it's easy to save them to disk:

Alternatively, if you have a lot, you can select multiple items and export to 1PIF from the File menu. This will save them all at once to a folder called "Attachments", which makes it easier to grab a lot of them.

Then, you can use New Item > Import files as Documents option in 1Password 6 to import them all at once:

Just be sure to dispose of any exported data securely after you're done with it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ixofje
    Ixofje
    Community Member
    Options

hi brenty, thank you so much for clarification.

I have plenty of attachments so the second option would fit best.

But: Is there a way to 'bind' attachments or now documents to a login item?
    Because, that's how they have been used in v4, and that's what makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

hi brenty, thank you so much for clarification. I have plenty of attachments so the second option would fit best.

@Ixofje: No problem. I'm sorry that this isn't ideal, but this is the best method we have for now while we work on improving the app. :(

But: Is there a way to 'bind' attachments or now documents to a login item? Because, that's how they have been used in v4, and that's what makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

I hear you. We have things setup under the hood to be able to "link" items of all types to each other, not just documents; but we don't have this on Windows yet. This is a new feature we've built in 1Password for Mac, but we'll be bringing this to Windows and other platforms in future updates. Thanks for letting us know you're looking to be able to do that!

ref: OPW6-784

This discussion has been closed.