I have 2 vaults somehow...

Options

Hello everyone!

OK, I seem to have 2 vaults in different places with slightly different content, and would like to merge the two together. I did do a search on the forum, and found some references to 'merging 2 vaults' but they seemed to be mac related. Please bear with me as there isn't a short way of writing this!

I must point out that it's all to do with my adding an SSD drive as my 'C' Drive to my PC, and then using my old HDD as a backup drive which is showing as 'D' Drive. The reason I'm in a bit of a mess (with lots of apps!) is because I followed a tutorial somewhere which showed you how to get windows to install programs/Apps to the 'D' Drive to save space on the SSD I needed to re-install 1P4 for Windows again a while ago, but instead of installing to the same place on my 'D' drive, I installed it somewhere else on the 'D' drive. (unintentionally) Anyway, here's where both vaults are:

I have one vault in - This PC > Backup (D:) > Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain (which incidentally, is a standard Windows folder) When I open said folder, here's what's inside:

Two more folders. One named 'a' the other named 'data' also there is an Google Chrome icon named '1Password.html' and another item called 'AgileKeychain.ico'

The second vault is in - This PC > Documents > 1Password. (This location is still on my (D:) Drive as I 'told' Windows to route all apps there by default when installing) Inside this folder is '1Password.agilekeychain' (contents of this folder are as above with the first folder) together with a 'Backups' folder.

I have and iPhone and iPad both syncing with the FIRST vault mentioned above, but windows was syncing with the SECOND folder mentioned above. I did not do this intentionally, and often wondered how on some devices the login information was there, and on othersit wasn't. Now I know why!

After reading some old Q&A's in previous posts on the forum, I tried moving the '1Password.agilekeychain' (from the 'second' vault as mentioned above) to the location of the first vault, but all this did was prompt 1P4 for Windows to ask me which vault I wanted to open.

As for my iDevices, when I go to settings the only vault they pointed to was the first location mentioned above. I did not think to check this again once I had moved the second keychain there too, because I have now moved it back to its original location in fear I may further 'break' things more :blush:

I would like to keep Dropbox as my ONLY place for syncing 1P4, and would like to merge both keychains there. Some help from your very busy schedules would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @EAPTCB : Yuck! As someone also with everything on an HDD to save space on a tiny SSD, I sympathize. I have a lot split across drives and have been avoiding consolidating for some time, because it's just too daunting. Hopefully, you'll inspire me to stop putting it off. :wink:

I have one vault in - This PC > Backup (D:) > Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain
    The second vault is in - This PC > Documents > 1Password. (This location is still on my (D:) Drive ... Inside this folder is '1Password.agilekeychain'

We'll need to make sure both of these vaults are both on Dropbox to start so both devices can access them. Before we do that, though, I'd like you to make a copy of both and save them somewhere safe on your PC and also make a backup from each of your devices as well. This way we have backups of each device as well as copies of both vaults in their current state, in case we need them.

Once you've backed up and saved backup copies of each vault, move your PC's vault to Dropbox:

1. Unlock that first vault in 1Password 4.
    2. Select preferences, then the General tab.
    3. Click Move to Dropbox.
    4. Note the new path for this vault and move on to an iOS device.

On one of your iOS devices:

1. Disable sync for your vault.
    2. Re-enable Dropbox sync and select the vault you just moved to Dropbox instead of the the vault they've been using.
    3. When asked, verify the path first, and click the Merge button to start the process.
    4. Give 1Password some time to merge and finish syncing to Dropbox.
    5. Unlock your vault on Windows and allow the changes to sync there as well.
    6. Delete the vault on Dropbox that your iOS devices were previously using (remember, you have a backup).
    7. (Optionally) move the copies of both original vaults to Dropbox. This way, you can open them on any device as a Secondary vault if needed for reference.

At this point, you can take some time to play around with your items and make sure that everything is correct and the merge went smoothly. If all is well, you can sync up your second iOS device with this new vault. To do so:

1. Delete and reinstall 1Password for iOS on this device.
    2. Tap Dropbox on the Welcome screen (you may need to scroll down a bit to see it).
    3. Authorize 1Password to access Dropbox as needed, select your (now only) vault on Dropbox and enter your Master Password.

You'll now have all three devices syncing with your merged vault. I'd personally hold onto the backups you saved on your PC for a bit so that you can reference them to edit any items that didn't merge properly as you come across them, but if you're confident that everything is present, accounted for and up-to-date, you are welcome to delete all other agilekeychain folders on both Dropbox and your PC if you'd like. Just make sure you keep the one your devices are syncing with. :chuffed:

Of course, if you have any questions along the way, let us know!

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate, Thanks for the in-depth instructions. Unfortunately, when I got to the 'on one of of your iOS devices' section, the iPhone app did not tell me anything about merging. Actually, it came up with an error message about the keychain (which I forgot to make a note of :blush: ) so after fiddling around for ages, I had enough, and thought since I have everything backed up, ill try a different way. What I did was to open both folders in Dropbox and cut and pasted from one to the other. Windows was telling me that x items are already in that folder so I agreed to replace the ones in the destination folder. I uninstalled ios apps re-installed and everything seems merged now! In 1P4 for Windows, I tried to open the vault who's content I moved, and it gave me an error message about it (which was what i was hoping) because the 'old' keychain is no longer and it disappeared from the vault list in the menu. Nice and tidy :)

I don't think the way I did it seemed correct, nor did it feel that I was doing the right thing, however, with nothing to lose and everything backed up I took the plunge. Now everything is in one place!

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. Well, so long as you have everything backed up and you were able to get all of your data in one place I call it a win. Be sure to let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.