How to change master password on windows?

Options

My master password on the website and on the windows app have been out of sync for some time. I decided that I didn't like the windows one, so I wanted to change it back to match the website one. There's no longer an option to change it from windows, so I looked around for a solution and saw that I needed to change the master on the website, and it would put a red banner on the windows app. I did all that yesterday. Today when I logged in, I expected to be able to use the (new) website password on the windows app, but it didn't work. I still had to use the password that I'm trying to get rid of. What did I do wrong, or how do I get the windows one changed?

1Password Version: 6.6.439d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.0.15063
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @suzyq! I think some clarification of details might help here. Did you actually see that red banner and go through the process of updating your Master Password within 1Password 6 for Windows? Also, are you able to view all of your data when you sign in to your account on 1Password.com? There are a few situations that might cause the app to unlock with a different Master Password than the Master Password for your account and these tidbits will help me sort out what's causing your problem and the best way to fix it. :chuffed:

• suzyq
    suzyq
    Community Member
    Options

I saw the red banner and it made me type the new password, but I didn't specifically change it in 1Password 6. Since the option was no longer there to change it in 1Password6 when I originally wanted to, it didn't occur to me to look for it again. Should I have? I guess I assumed that when I had to type the new password at the red banner, that would update so that they were both the same.

Yes, I am able to see everything fine. I just have two different passwords to get there.

• Hey @suzyq!

Since the option was no longer there to change it in 1Password6 when I originally wanted to, it didn't occur to me to look for it again. Should I have?

Oh, no, absolutely not. That was poor wording on my part (sorry!). The act of entering the new Master Password in the sign-in form updates it for you. You're not crazy, the button is actually gone. :blush:

Yes, I am able to see everything fine. I just have two different passwords to get there.

In this case, I'd make sure you have your Emergency Kit handy and follow these instructions to reset your local database for 1Password 6. Sign in again after with your NEW Master Password and you should be all set, but let me know if it's still asking you for the old one. :chuffed:

• suzyq
    suzyq
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it took a couple tries, but I think I've got it. When I launched 1Password6, it told me there was an update, but every time I tried to install, nothing happened. I finally hit Cancel and launched my old version. It wouldn't let me in until I used my old original password (that nobody's using), and there was only some old test data in the vault. Finally, I went to the website and downloaded the app from there. Then when I launched, it took the right password and everything was back. I've logged out and back in again, and it seems to be doing the right thing.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that it was a bit of an ordeal, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• M5Pilot
    M5Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

I want to tag on here as I have the same problem and can't correct it. On my pc computers, the old pw only works and then a red banner shows up. I use the new one then to get in but it won't change the old password to the new one. It works perfectly on my iMac and iphone/ipads but windows pc's it only takes the old pw. How ca I get the pc's to take the new pw?

• @M5Pilot: A few things that might help to narrow things down. First, do you see a Primary vault in your Windows app? Also, I'm assuming this is the case, but just to be absolutely sure, you were able to see the sign-in screen after clicking the red banner and enter your new Master Password? Thanks! :chuffed:

• M5Pilot
    M5Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks bundtkate for your reply. Not sure what you mean by seeing a primary vault in win app. I'll open the chrome browser after booting up the pc. Then I select the 1password icon in the upper tool bar and the login screen appears. I have to use the old pw to open it up. When I select the 1pw app on the desktop screen and then select something on that page, the red banner pops up and says the login isn't right. I then select the red banner and the login page pops up that has sign in address/email/secret key and a box for my password. Only the new password will work in this case. So both old and new pw work for different parts.

• Thanks for the extra detail @M5Pilot! It sounds like 1Password is doing what I'd expect initially, but perhaps not updating the Master Password for the app properly. Are you still seeing the error banner every time you open the app on your desktop even after entering your new Master Password and clicking Sign In? If so, I may need to grab some diagnostics from you to see what's keeping the local database from updating as it should. Thanks for your help clarifying things and your patience while we sort this out. :chuffed:

• M5Pilot
    M5Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

This time I booted the pc and opened the desktop 1pw6 first not the chrome icon. Only the old password would open it up just like the chrome browser icon and after it opened up, the red banner appeared. I then enter the new pw after clicking the red banner and the new password is accepted. But this is only after I used the old pw to get into it initially. Thanks for your time. Is there another login sequence you want me to try?

• M5Pilot
    M5Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

To add more. While in the desktop 1pw6, and after I used the new pw after the red banner appeared, I tried to empty the trash can and a red banner popped up to say there was an error and a second red banner popped to say the pw isn't right just like the one I get after I login initially. So I can't empty the trash.

• Hey, @M5Pilot! Thanks for letting me know! It does seem like 1Password is failing to update the local database password for some reason. This is the first I've heard of this, so I'm not sure why it would be happening. :unamused: Let's try something else:

1. Sign into your account in your browser and confirm that you're able to access all of your data there.
    2. Follow these instructions to reset your local database on your Windows PC.
    3. Open 1Password and sign in to your account again using your NEW Master Password.

This should correct any local database issues, but do let me know if you're still seeing that banner when you sign in again. You should only ever see it the first time you sign in after updating your Master Password, so if you're still seeing it, we may need to shift this over to e-mail and take a closer look. :+1:

Try emptying your trash again, too, if everything is looks good after the reset. It may be that the problem updating your Master Password was preventing this since your app can't talk to the server until your Master Password is updated fully.

• M5Pilot
    M5Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed it, at least on my laptop. I'll see what the desktop does. Thanks for the info. Bill

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of Kate, you're welcome. If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.