1Password keeps crashing

I hope somebody could help me out to find the culprit for the crashes I have recently on my Windows 10 box and to point me the right direction to get this fixed!?
KERNELBASE.dll seems to be the reason why 1Password crashes unpredictably and that is the event I could find right after a crash:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>100</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-07-25T09:07:36.928668400Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>17012</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>WorkStation</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe</Data> 
  <Data>6.6.439.0</Data> 
  <Data>59441128</Data> 
  <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data> 
  <Data>10.0.15063.483</Data> 
  <Data>aa6457d1</Data> 
  <Data>e0434352</Data> 
  <Data>0000000000069e08</Data> 
  <Data>2b44</Data> 
  <Data>01d305231fddb18b</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\1password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe</Data> 
  <Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data> 
  <Data>59080b34-1a02-4e2f-af40-87a8146f8adf</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

BIG thanks in advance! "losing" 1Password shows how much I am lost when its not working correctly!

1Password Version: 6.6.439.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:KERNELBASE.dll 6.6.439.0

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello there @zapper,

Thank you for reporting this!

Is it possible that you bumped into this crash? What device are you running 1Password on and what version of .NET Framework you have there? Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• zapper
    zapper
    Community Member

thanks Greg for reaching out! I checked the link you provided me!
    Windows Update KB4022716 (June 27, 2017) has been installed but I found this after a sfc /scannow:
    [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:60 ml:61]'\??\C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RedistList' is not owned but specifies SDDL in component NetFx-ASSEMBLYLIST_XML, arch x86, versionScope neutral, pkt {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}
    it seems that on my desktop-computer NET.Framework has a problem?!
    by viewing the registry @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full - I have version 4.7.02046
    what worries me that is that there is a version v4 and a version v4.0 listed?
    after 20 years on a Mac, I find myself a little bit lost in the depth of my new Windows system and would appreciate if you could confirm me to do a manual update of the NET.Framework, mess around with the registry or trying to fix the [DIRSD OWNER WARNING]?
    thanks for pointing the windows-noob to the right direction!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zapper: Are you using pen/tablet input on your PC? Windows .Net Framework version reporting is just confusing, so that's not a cause for concern. There are a few things to consider and try, but ultimately Windows issues may require expertise that we cannot help with. But I'll try to point you in the right direction at least.

1. If you haven't already installed the Windows 10 Creators Update, be sure to do so.
    2. Make sure you have no pending updates in Settings > Windows Update.
    3. Use Microsoft's .NET Framework Repair Tool
    4. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling .Net 4.7, and then re-check Windows update for any patches.

If doing that does not resolve the ownership issues though, you may need to pursue that with Microsoft. Let me know what you find!

• zapper
    zapper
    Community Member

great support @AgileBits and thank you @brenty for trying to put me in the right direction to solve this issue!
    no pen/tablet input I use on my desktop (except a wacom tablet). it's a straight forward computer that I use to do my work as a motion-designer.
    regretting that I made the switch to Windows though! so many problems I run into ... I never had on the Mac!
    anyway ... I have Windows 10 Pro which is up-to-date and therefore the Creators Update should be installed automatically, right?
    no errors reported by the ".NET Framework Repair Tool" and advised only for windows-experts to reinstall .NET Framework ... which I am not!
    therefore I have to deal with the random crashes of 1Password and hope that some magic will fix my problem with some future updates! need to get some work done now!
    THANKS again guys!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

great support @AgileBits and thank you @brenty for trying to put me in the right direction to solve this issue!

@zapper: You're welcome! I'm just sorry that we're not there yet.

no pen/tablet input I use on my desktop (except a wacom tablet). it's a straight forward computer that I use to do my work as a motion-designer.

That's really odd. Thanks for letting me know! The only other thing I can think of is a while back (a long while, in 1Password 6 terms) some folks had issues with some display drivers. Do you see any listed in Windows Settings "installed programs"? It might be worth checking with the manufacturer for a newer version.

regretting that I made the switch to Windows though! so many problems I run into ... I never had on the Mac!

Ha! If I didn't need both myself I might be pretty happy with a Surface, but while Windows 10 is a great step forward in my opinion it still definitely has some issues.

anyway ... I have Windows 10 Pro which is up-to-date and therefore the Creators Update should be installed automatically, right?

I think that's a reasonable assumption, but I've seen stranger things.

no errors reported by the ".NET Framework Repair Tool" and advised only for windows-experts to reinstall .NET Framework ... which I am not!

The good news is that if this is necessary it is easy, quick, and not risky.

therefore I have to deal with the random crashes of 1Password and hope that some magic will fix my problem with some future updates! need to get some work done now! THANKS again guys!

I don't think we should give up quite yet. Crashes are no good at all! If you're still getting this, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Also, please grab the logs from Event Viewer:

https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-log/

Please send these to support@agilebits.com and add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your email before sending it:

[#KAF-63846-813]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. We'll see if that provides some more clues, even if it just tells us where you need to look. Thanks in advance!

ref: KAF-63846-813

• zapper
    zapper
    Community Member

@brenty wrote: @zapper: You're welcome! I'm just sorry that we're not there yet.

yes ... you guys are! I really appreciate your help! having a great software is one thing! having a great support with it is the big thing!
    got the diagnostics and log ... the email has been sent!
    already curious what it tells you?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zapper: Thanks for sending it! No promises, but I'll take a look and see if it offers any clues. :)

This discussion has been closed.