Can't update my master password

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 6 not respecting new master password.

Comments

• scuba6388
    scuba6388
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I'm having the same issue with the latest version of 1Password (6.7.442) I change my master password from my.1password.com and have signed out and back in with the new master password, but the application still wants to use my old master password. There is no longer the option change the password locally on 1Password 6 for Windows, so I assume it should be using the master password set at my.1password.com.

• Hi @Scuba6388,

Thanks for writing in.

Currently, the 1Password 6 for Windows application has its own master password that it is based on the first 1Password account added to the application. When you change the master password on 1Password.com, 1Password 6 would've alert you with a red banner that it cannot authenticate anymore and you can click on the red banner to update the account with your new master password.

However, if you've signed out first instead, then it wouldn't work because the first account is not there anymore to update the application's password. 1Password 6 does not switch its password to the new account you've just signed in yet, which is a known limitation that will be fixed in a future update.

For now, if you want to change the master password, you have to rename the local database folder and sign in again to your 1Password account. Here's how to rename the local data folder and after that, sign in again and you should be set with the new master password now.

• scuba6388
    scuba6388
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

For some reason I wasn't getting the red banner, which is why I attempted to sign out and back in again. Renaming local data folder fixed it. Thanks!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.