chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit), extension not working (1 Password 3x, Mac OSX 10.6.8)

Options

HI,
I have been using 1password on this old machine (MacBookPro OSX 10.6.8) for ages, [I have a newer iMac too and all's fine on that with 1password 4].
1Password is still working on Safari on this macbook and 1Password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) boots up fine. But when I go to install the browser extension (wondering if a reinstall may help) it says installed. When I attempt to use the v browser extension it's unable to find 1password on my mac, even though its running.
I hope you can help please. I keep this old mac going to run legacy apps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) extension not working (1 Password 3x, Mac OSX 10.6.8)

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@neilB,

Thanks for your question. I've moved you over to the 1Password 3&4 forum since your question doesn't apply to the current version of 1Password.

1Password does a code signature check on the connecting browser so ensure that it only talks to known browsers. 1Password 3 and 4 bake those signatures into the application and recently Chrome had a need to update their signing certificate. In updating their certificate the name they used changed from "Google Inc." to "Google, Inc.", which is what broke your ability to use the browser extension with 1Password.

The only options available are to disable the code signature check on the advanced section in preferences or update your OS to at least 10.10 and update 1Password to version 6.5.3 or newer.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Rudy

• neilB
    neilB
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
    extension version 3.9.21.90
    OSX 10.6.8
    sync type - can't fathom how to find out, dropbox I think

• neilB
    neilB
    Community Member
    Options

AHA
    looking at my chrome extensions I se that 1password 4 extension had been auto installed. Now I just have v 3 of the 1P extension its working again. But I've still no idea how to access sync settings in1password 3. the online help seems to all be for v4, I'd lobe to use 4 here but on this mac its not comaptible

• neilB
    neilB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rudy

thanks for your help
    actually I think it was 'cause I had both v 3 and 4 extensions installed!
    its OK now
    my chrome is an older version too, they don't support my OSX version any more, so maybe that name change will not bite me ';~}

just in case it does bite me later: you write
    disable the code signature check on the advanced section in preferences or update your OS to at least 10.10 and update 1Password to version 6.5.3 or newer.

so that’s in 1password 3 "advanced preferences" right?
    yeah I do have 1P 6.8 on m my main mac.
    As I mentioned I need 10.6.8 as I have (vital for work) legacy applications on the macbook

thanks again

n

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilB,

But I've still no idea how to access sync settings in1password 3. the online help seems to all be for v4,

Most of the 1Password for Mac documentation in 1Password Support is for version 6.

General Preferences is where you can change the location of the 1Password.agilekeychain data file for 1Password 3:

If you choose to move it to Dropbox, take care not to overwrite another 1Password.agilekeychain that's already there.

You haven't mentioned how syncing is currently configured in 1Password 6 on your other Mac, if at all. That will make a difference in how you'd sync data between your Macs with old and new versions.

And something important to be aware of is what brenty wrote in another comment (emphasis added)::

You can use 1Password 3 to access the data there, but the browser integration will not work with recent browser releases...and whatever you do don't add or edit anything in 1Password 3.

I suggest reading his full comment, with steps for syncing between 1Password 3 and 1Password 6, if you intend to do similar.

Finally, differences in 1Password data that you currently have (and will need) in each version can be a factor in how you'd sync it. For example, maybe you'll only need a subset of data in 1Password 3 and could sync that with a separate vault in 1Password 6. It's tough to suggest a specific syncing strategy without knowing which version(s) have your required data right now. :)

just in case it does bite me later: you write

disable the code signature check on the advanced section in preferences or update your OS to at least 10.10 and update 1Password to version 6.5.3 or newer.

so that’s in 1password 3 "advanced preferences" right?

You won't find "Verify browser code signature" in Advanced Preferences for 1Password 3; it was added in 1Password 4.

• neilB
    neilB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Helpful
    thanks
    I am pleased to write that "Enable OPVault" is disabled, phew. I certainly never saw this post before so I am lucky i guess.
    I am using 6 and 3 as if it were 2 copies of 3 (or 6) I've not had any issues - again maybe that’s lucky. Just the one vault.

Good to know about not editing in 1P3.
    Thanks so much for great support on an OLD version
    I've no idea how I'd manage with out 1P

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your kind words, @neilB. We wouldn't be here if not for fine folks like you. :chuffed:

Sounds like you've got 1Password set up to your liking on both Macs. Let us know if you run into an issues or have other questions. Enjoy the rest of your week!

• neilB
    neilB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk

thanks lots man, its SO good to know you guys are there. and responsive too

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that rudy and sjk were able to help out. Thank for the kind words! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.