Chrome extension issue

Options

Hi,

I've just recovered my computer (Windows 10) after a crash, and I've got the main one password app back up and working. However, when I download and enable the Chrome extension it works, but it has none of my login information. It will offer to save new logins, but somehow it doesn't seem to be connecting to my dropbox vault, and I cant find a way of pointing it at the right vault.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Nick

1Password Version: 4.6.2.625
Extension Version: 4.6.9.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @njames879! Did you happen to install 1Password 6 at any point along the way when getting things set back up again? 1Password 6 will steal the extension from 1Password 4 if it's installed, even if it's not in use at the time. You can tell that this is happening by clicking the extension icon in Chrome as the UI looks quite different from what you'd expect from 1Password 4. You'll see icons along the left-hand side rather than the menus you're used to with 1Password 4.

If it looks like 1Password 6 may be stealing the extension from 1Password 4, you'll want to uninstall 1Password 6 from control panel and make sure that Native Messaging is enabled in 1Password 4. To do so, open 1Password 4, choose Help > Advanced, and check Enable Native Messaging protocol if there's not a check mark next to it already. Restart Chrome once you're done and you should be all set.

Of course, if I'm totally off-base and everything looks normal, just without your logins displayed, let me know and we'll take a closer look. :chuffed:

Thanks!

• njames879
    njames879
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! all fixed. Much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kate, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• KHurd
    KHurd
    Community Member
    Options

New user here. I can't seem to install the 1Password extension on my desktop. I get 2 errors - one from Agilebits that says there was an error and one from Chrome saying this item is already being downloaded but nothing happens. I've restarted my computer a couple of times and I still get the same errors. What am I doing wrong?

• @KHurd This sounds like something a bit different to me. Could you let me know what the specific error you get from 1Password says? Do you have any safe browsing software installed on this PC or safe browsing extensions installed in Chrome? This may help narrow down the cause of your problem.

• KHurd
    KHurd
    Community Member
    Options

I use Kaspersky antivirus. I'm trying to send you a screen shot of the error but your "attach image" icon isn't responding. The error message reads "There was an error installing the Chrome extension. Please visit the Chrome Web Store directly and try again. If the problem persists, please contact us for assistance". I get a different error message from the Chrome Web Store. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KHurd: The fact that you're also having trouble using the forum to attach a screenshot in addition to not being able to install the extension from Google points to something with the browser. I can't tell you if that's going to be Kaspersky, some other 3rd party app interfering, or other extensions you have installed, but that's where I'd start looking. There just isn't anything we (or Google) can do on our end to resolve that for you. A relatively quick way to test this would be to boot into safe mode with networking and use a clean Chrome profile.

• KHurd
    KHurd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll give it a try

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please let us know what you find. It may help others who encounter a similar issue!

This discussion has been closed.