I can't login on second Chromium window

Options

Hey guys,

I am using the newst (stable) Chromium version [1] with newest 1Password browser extension (for Chrome) on my Windows 10 client.

No matter which website I open and call 1Password with my hotkey (CRTL + #) the login works fine.

The great phenomenon becomes visibile when I open a new chromium window (with CRTL + N). So I have two chromium windows open. The login works great in the 1st opened window, but in the 2nd window I can't login. I only can use the logins in the 1st opened chromium, but not in the 2nd.

I just tried it with the normal Google Chrome browser, there I have no problems - so I figured out that my problem is only in combination with Chromium and 1Password.

Is it possible to fix this bug? Or is it a "feature" ;)?

It would be great when I can use both together in more than one Chromium window :)

Thanks in advance
Sven

1Password Version: 4.6.2.625
Extension Version: 4.6.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (newst service packs etc)
Sync Type: No
Referrer: forum-search:chromium

Comments

• Hey @sveen! Sorry for a bit of a delay in getting back to you! I wanted to touch base with our extension team as we're in a bit of a transitional period with the extension and some of the apps are handing unsigned browsers like Chromium a bit differently from others and I wanted to make sure I had my head screwed on straight. To help me figure out what might be going on here, could you check Help > Advanced for me and let me know if Use Native Messaging protocol is checked? If not, try enabling it, restart Chromium and let me know if you see any change. If things get worse, you can always swap back to Use WebSocket Protocol in that same menu to get back to where you are now. Thanks! :chuffed:

• sveen
    sveen
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thank you for your answer and tips.

"Use Native Messaging protocol" was checked, but it didn't worked.
    Now I switched to "Use WebSocket protocol" - it's crazy! Now everything works fine.

Now the crucial question: What is the big different? Is it ok when I use the WebSocket protocol or are there any limitations?

• @sveen: These are different communication methods between the main app and the extension. Native messaging is better and more secure, but most importantly, it will be the only method that will work in Chrome-based browsers down the line. For now, you're fine using WebSockets. We've used it for quite some time without issue, but just be aware that Google will be removing support for it in the future.

That said, we haven't seen this issue pop up with normal Chrome and, since Chromium isn't a supported browser that we regularly test with, we really can't make any guarantees that 1Password will work as expected in Chromium. We'll keep an eye out for this issue in normal Chrome and, of course, if we learn anything more we'll be happy to share and we welcome your thoughts as well. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.