Performance Issues with 1Password Windows 4.x familiy

I always assumed it was the one windwos machine I had in the house that was the issue, then I got a second one.

I have 1Password for Mac, iOS and Windows.

On the Mac or iOS i've never had a complaint.

ON windows it is slooooooow. like ridiculously slow. To unlock 1pass, 10-15 seconds after entering password does it unlock. Click the firefox extension - 3-5 seconds, or never and requiring a second, third, or fourth clikc or a 'screw it shortcut ctrl-/' might fix it.

Windows 10, latest updates, current version installed is 4.6.x.x. I've clean installed on a brand new windows 10 image (post updates) my other computer is running the same version, just an older processor (core i7, but two generations back)

SSD storage, (honestly, drive lights don't blink while it's doing this). everything else is doing fin, just when I unlock 1pass or try to use it to fill out forms on windows only, it's sub-par compared to experience with ios and mac os x.

What's up? i dont' see a lot of complaints here about it, so i'm wondering what I did.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.625
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @Tom Boucher! Thanks for writing in! 1Password 4 is a bit on the slower side, but what you're reporting seems a bit excessive. Do you happen to have a vault with a large number of items saved? 1Password 4 does not have an internal database like 1Password 6 for Mac, so it does run into some troubles with larger vaults. Local vaults are going to get an upgrade in 1Password 7 for Windows, but that's still a ways off, so I'd love to get 1Password 4 working a little bit more smoothly for you in the meantime if we're able. Let us know about the size of your vault and we'll move forward from there. :+1:

• Tom Boucher
    Tom Boucher
    Community Member

All items is at 993 as far as items in it go.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tom Boucher: Indeed, 1Password 4 was developed long before we could count on multi-processor (and HyperThreading) to be standard on PCs, so it isn't optimized for the hardware we're using today and hasn't scaled well with it as a result. 1Password 4 works directly with the vault on disk, rather than having an optimized internal database (which we're using in 1Password for Mac and the new version of 1Password for Windows). There are a few things which might help you to some extent, but most of them aren't recommended and will not solve the underlying limitations of the older codebase:

• If you're using OPVault, AgileKeychain will have better performance. But again, this is not recommended since the newer format is better in every way besides single-threaded crypto performance.
    • Help > Advanced > "Tune 1Password for max performance" makes some setting tweaks that can improve responsiveness marginally.
    • File > "Repair 1Password vault" can help if there's a problem with the vault itself.
    • Turning off Preferences > "Enable Multiple URLs" will improve search performance since 1Password will not decrypt to search the additional Website fields in Login items.

1Password 6 doesn't have these same limitations, as we've built it from scratch using the latest technologies this past year; and similarly 1Password 7 will be using that same codebase in the future. You can always try a 1Password.com membership now (and we'll be happy to help you and your family make the transition), or down the road 1Password 7 may be a more appealing option for you if you prefer to continue using local vaults.

• Tom Boucher
    Tom Boucher
    Community Member

OK. I've done that, will let it sit and use it normally and see if I notice anything.

I'm the only one in my family I can convince to use 1Password, so right now it's just me and my single user stuff. I'll probably wait for 7 as I like to keep stuff local-ish for now. At least I know I'm not crazy :)

• You're absolutely not crazy, @Tom Boucher! I hope brenty's tips help you out, but if we can do anything else to help, just let us know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.