Edge Extension Initial Impressions

Options
architect1337
architect1337
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

To save you all the bother of going through a long post - looking good so far.

I am using the extension on my Fast Ring PC (currently build 16275).

I installed 1Password from the 1Password.com site, and I used the 1Password entry from my Store Library. One important point - does this mean that I am no longer able to reinstall 1Password on my Windows 10 mobile device now, as the 1Password app in the store has been replaced with the Edge extension?

The extension installed fine, the icon showed up in Edge and I was able to open the menu.

So first things first, quick trip to Amazon. Sign in appeared, clicked on correct entry in 1Password Extension and sign in details were filled in. All good there.

Tried to create a new signin for 1Password Support Forum. Clicked on 'Password Generator', this appeared and I was able to generate a password. I notice a slight difference between this and other extensions on other platforms, in that you only have the option to hit 'copy' then you need to paste the newly generated password into the password field. I actually quite like this method as auto-completing sometimes filled in the wrong boxes (on Mac for example) on a complex form.

I didn't go through with the creation so don't know if 1Password extension allows you to automatically create a new login item but will continue to check it out.

All in all - very good. If I had to pick one thing out to make it even better, then that would be that the font looks a little small. I'd have to compare it side to side with Firefox and Chrome.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 16275
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Ignore my last comment about font looking small - I just install Firefox and the extension looks exactly the same. I've been using macOS X recently on my desktop and so have probably got used to that extension (with bigger fonts!) ;-)

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

...and to add to my comment about saving a login, certainly in Edge, I tried to register with a random site, this all worked and the registration form completed successfully but 1Password didn't ask me whether I wanted to save my login. The generated password was saved under 'password' but no other information was saved e.g. username, site name etc - in other words - no 'login' entry was created in 1Password for future use.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

So finally, there is a 'save new login' menu item under the 'cog (settings)' section of the extension.

I filled in the form again, generated a new password and before I submitted the form to the site, I hit the 'save new login' entry. This popped up a windows, allowed me to save, choose vault, set tag etc. I then verified this is the main application - and yes, it worked. Manual - perhaps hard to find if you're not looking but it worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To save you all the bother of going through a long post - looking good so far. I am using the extension on my Fast Ring PC (currently build 16275).

@architect1337: Seriously, it's no bother! Glad to hear you're enjoying the beta, even at this early stage. :chuffed:

I installed 1Password from the 1Password.com site, and I used the 1Password entry from my Store Library. One important point - does this mean that I am no longer able to reinstall 1Password on my Windows 10 mobile device now, as the 1Password app in the store has been replaced with the Edge extension?

It shouldn't. We've released many, many updates (probably one gross by now) in the Windows Store over time, and I haven't heard of people having trouble installing the latest supported version from their purchase history, even very old alpha builds that run on Windows 8. That said, the mobile builds are very old and unsupported, so they won't be able to connect to 1Password.com going forward.

The extension installed fine, the icon showed up in Edge and I was able to open the menu. So first things first, quick trip to Amazon. Sign in appeared, clicked on correct entry in 1Password Extension and sign in details were filled in. All good there.

Ha! I did the same thing. :lol: :+1:

Tried to create a new signin for 1Password Support Forum. Clicked on 'Password Generator', this appeared and I was able to generate a password. I notice a slight difference between this and other extensions on other platforms, in that you only have the option to hit 'copy' then you need to paste the newly generated password into the password field. I actually quite like this method as auto-completing sometimes filled in the wrong boxes (on Mac for example) on a complex form.

Thanks for the feedback on that! I'm not sure most people want to be stuck with the manual method long-term, but that's fair criticism that 1Password doesn't always get it right. We'll keep working on it, and we've got some cool stuff in the works — besides the Edge extension. ;)

I didn't go through with the creation so don't know if 1Password extension allows you to automatically create a new login item but will continue to check it out. All in all - very good. If I had to pick one thing out to make it even better, then that would be that the font looks a little small. I'd have to compare it side to side with Firefox and Chrome. Ignore my last comment about font looking small - I just install Firefox and the extension looks exactly the same. I've been using macOS X recently on my desktop and so have probably got used to that extension (with bigger fonts!) ;-)

I hear ya. That always gets me too, switching between platforms. Looking forward to more feedback as you continue using it! :)

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Feeling a bit adventerous, I decided to install the plugin on my production system (a Surface Pro 4 / core m3 running Creators Update - outside the Insider Programme). Just download from the store, click and install.

Now if I close down Edge, and re-open it again, then click on the 1Password extension, there appears to be a few seconds delay before the Extension window opens (about 6-10 seconds). This could be a delay while other extensions open (I have Microsoft Translate and Ghostery) but the time delay is fairly consistent.

Sometimes (hard to reproduce reliably), clicking on the 1Password extension would do nothing and the extension window wouldn't open at all. You'd have to close Edge, reopen it again and it would then work.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Additional note on above - I do not see this delay on my much faster desktop running Fall Creators Update in Fast Ring.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @architect1337,

Thanks for your feedback, it really helps us a lot.

Now if I close down Edge, and re-open it again, then click on the 1Password extension, there appears to be a few seconds delay before the Extension window opens (about 6-10 seconds).

Sometimes (hard to reproduce reliably), clicking on the 1Password extension would do nothing and the extension window wouldn't open at all. You'd have to close Edge, reopen it again and it would then work.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue and listed here

The 1Password extension may become non-responsive if the last Microsoft Edge window is closed and a new one is opened immediately. Close the new window, wait a few seconds, and open Microsoft Edge again to resolve this problem.

The slower your system, the longer you may have to wait. The issue is that when Edge is closed, it takes a few seconds for the processes to terminate (we have two separate processes required to communicate) and if you relaunch Edge before they're closed, 1Password cannot reconnect.

It is strange that your SP4 with the SSD (even the m3 128gb SSD model should be fast) would take 6 seconds to launch but if you had multiple things going at the same time, that could be it.

We're trying to optimize this but it may not be avoidable due to the complex implementation we had to build to support this.

Please keep updating us with your feedback. Thanks again!

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    Options

I have a niggly issue as well - pressing Control+\ does not invoke 1Password in Edge, but it works fine in Chrome.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kop48,

Thanks for reporting that.

That keyboard shortcut is not implemented for Edge (also mentioned in Known Issues), we're working on finding a way to make it possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is strange that your SP4 with the SSD (even the m3 128gb SSD model should be fast) would take 6 seconds to launch but if you had multiple things going at the same time, that could be it.

@MikeT: Nah, it's the same for me. The m3 is not a speed demon. ;)

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I've been using the extension for a while now and apart from the thread issue mentioned above (opening and closing Edge may make it unresponsive due to threads not closing quickly enough) it all appears to be working well. I've added new passwords, changed passwords etc and apart from the usual issue with badly written sites confusing the algorithm (that is the same for all versions), it's working well.

In sure there will be minor issues like the keyboard shortcut mentioned above but overall, I'm happily using the extension regularly now.

The only thing I haven't tested yet (obviously) will be how updates work via the store. Should be seamless but you never know.

• Senseotech
    Senseotech
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried it out myself, and the first fill went perfect (another Amazon lol), but after that, it failed to come up when clicked, so I couldn't fill anything. I closed Edge and re-opened, no luck. Closed Edge and waited several minutes(based on the above comments), then re-opened, again with no luck. I then closed Edge down and looked at processes. All the Edge processes are gone, but there's two 1password ones hanging around:

1Password.Edge.Universal.exe
    1Password.Edge.Native.exe

I waited another 5ish minutes and they were still hanging out there, so I killed the processes and everything seems fine now.

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member
    Options

I've installed extension on 3 machines - one running in another language - and it's been only green lights until now. Not using the short-cut and not auto-submitting either - had it on for a while, it seemed to go well, but I prefer to click submit myself, so changed it back.
    Until now, a very smooth experience! Yet to find a problem... :)

• @architect1337: Since we got to play with this a little earlier to make sure it was safe to release into the (semi-)wild, I did get to go through one update and I actually didn't even notice it happened. This is the only Windows Store app I have, so I was rather pleasantly surprised to see a couple fixes the team deployed just appear one morning. I certainly hope you have a similar experience, but we'll be interested to hear how it does on a larger scale. :+1:

@Senseotech: Do you recall what you were doing immediately prior to encountering this issue? When we first started toying with it, I seemed to be a professional at getting the extension to lock up, but we've since resolved my issues and I haven't run into any since (aside from occasions I close and restart too quickly, as I often mistakenly do). I have noticed maybe once or twice that it will become non-responsive during long sessions, but I don't believe anyone else has managed to reproduce this yet. Keep an eye out if it happens again and please pass along any detail you can. It will help us track down what's going wrong.

@Wilhelm: I'm super stoked to hear you're getting on so well! It's always lovely to hear that y'all are enjoying what we've built, even when we still have some nits to pick internally. It was a long slog to get here, so hearing your positive feedback really is encouraging. Thank you. :blush:

• freeskier
    freeskier
    Community Member
    Options

Behavior is really weird on my 2017 Surface Pro. When tablet mode is off, using keyboard/mouse, everything works fine. When tablet mode is off, but using touch, the 1Password menu opens in a random location on the screen. When tablet mode is on opening the 1Password menu causes the Edge window to disappear.

Also, the 1Password menu will often stop opening when tablet mode turns on and off.

• Hi @freeskier,

Thanks for reporting that.

Unfortunately, that may be expected as 1Password mini is a desktop app window and tablet mode is difficult to optimize for apps that are not Windows Store/UWP-based. There is no UI or data in 1Password extension for Edge, it communicates to 1Password running natively in the background to show up when requested.

In this case, Edge didn't disappear, Windows switched you to a separate full-screen window showing 1Password mini and once you select something, it disappears as expected. It doesn't take you back to the previous app because the app (1Password mini) is still technically running, just hidden.

If you manually switch back to Edge (not using the back button in the taskbar) in tablet mode, the data should be filled in when you've selected an item in 1Password mini.

This may work a little better if we can figure out a way to support the keyboard shortcut for filling, so that you could just press Control + \ without seeing 1Password mini show up.

Also, the 1Password menu will often stop opening when tablet mode turns on and off.

I'm not seeing this behavior yet, how often do you see it?

Could the tablet mode maybe be a coincidence here? We're seeing a few reports that hibernating the system and resuming it can break 1Password in Edge as well, so I'm wondering if there's a connection here.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

So after a couple of weeks - I do see some issues with crashes of 1Password6. I've sent the logs that are generated when the program restarts (red banner at bottom). Killing the processes seems to fix it but ideally a bit more testing is needed.

• freeskier
    freeskier
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT It might be a coincidence but it's hard to tell. I have it set to automatically turn tablet mode on and off with the type cover position so it's constantly switching. Either way, there are often instances where the menu won't come up.

I'm assuming once a UWP app is released a lot of this stuff will be fixed? 1Password isn't exactly the most fluid application to use with a touchscreen device. I'd assume a lot of that comes natively though with a UWP app.

• @architect1337: Thanks for sending in logs! I don't believe I have access to hunt them down myself, but I'm sure @MikeT knows exactly where to find them. I know we're tracking at least one issue with Edge where the processes need to be killed manually. Hopefully your logs will provide some insight. :+1:

@freeskier: It sounds like this doesn't happen every single time tablet mode turns on and off, is that correct? Even on desktop, I still manage to kill the Edge extension now and again (in fact, it's not working right now :blush: ) so we've still got a few of these hiccups to track down and more detail always helps.

As for UWP, I can't speak to what that may or may not help with on touchscreen devices, but either way it's not something that's likely to happen any time soon. We've toyed around with UWP a fair bit and ultimately came to the conclusion that having an Edge extension that could integrate with the existing desktop app was the fastest and best way to get something in place for folks begging for Edge support. Of course, depending on how well this initial testing goes, that may change, but for the moment UWP is not something we're focusing on.

This discussion has been closed.