Can't open shared 1PW4 and 1PW6 opvault in Win10

Options

I'm using 1Password4 and 1Password6 on Windows and Macs with owncloud. Till yesterday everything worked fine. Since my computer became extremly slow I decided to switched from windows7 to win10 and installed the system on a new SSD. I thought it would be a good idea to do clean install to get rid of unneccessary drivers and programs and to reinstall only what is really required.
When I installed 1Password4, I was asked if I'm using 1Password already and I selected the owncloud directory where the opvault is stored. But unfortunately 1PW4 keeps telling me that this isn't a 1Password vault. "Maybe changing the master password from the Mac version could solve the problem" (translated from german). What could I do to have access to my opvault again?

1Password Version: 4 and 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows10
Sync Type: owncloud

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @gliedl,

Thanks for writing in.

The folder you've selected via OwnCloud, does it end in .opvault and if so, what does it contain inside, does it contain a folder called default and the icon, opvault.ico?

If you do see the default folder, go inside it, does it have several band*.js files?

Make sure you select the .opvault folder and not go inside it or select the parent directory.

• gliedl
    gliedl
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT,
    many thanks for your answer. I don't have access to the Win10 computer right now, I will check if all files are there on monday.

• @gliedl: On behalf of MikeT, you're most welcome. I hope all is well, but do let us know what you find out on Monday. :chuffed:

• gliedl
    gliedl
    Community Member
    Options

Last week I was not able to open my existing 1PW opvault folder in Windows10. I've changed the Master Password in 1PW6 in one of my Macs, I re-installed 1PW for windows serveral times - nothing worked. Today I installed 1PW4 on the Win10 machine again, and it worked like a charm. No more troubles that the folder isn't recognised, everything is fine.
    Thanks for your efforts!
    Best regards
    Gerhard

• Hi @gliedl,

Thanks for updating us on this.

I re-installed 1PW for windows serveral times - nothing worked.

Just to be clear, this was 1Password 4 or 6?

Today I installed 1PW4 on the Win10 machine again, and it worked like a charm.

The same action you did last week? Could it be that your folder wasn't completely sync'ed yet when you finished setting up 1Password on the new SSD?

• gliedl
    gliedl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    hmh, difficult to answer. I'm using 1PW6 on my Mac(s) and 1PW4 on my windows computer, so the problem I was facing was with 1PW4 only. 1PW6 has had no problems (which helped me a lot to continue with the installation of other programs where I required some license informations - I had to type in license strings and couldn't use copy and paste).
    But yes, I installed 1PW several times last week. Owncloud and Dropbox services were among the first few programs I installed after windows installation was completed. During synchronization, I installed an email client and a webbrowser and a few other programs. Since I re-organised my email folders and several filters, it took me quite some time. After that I tried to install 1PW, since I required some license informations stored in 1PW for additional installs. Then I got the strange messages that I should change the master password (what I tried without success) and I deinstalled and re-installed 1PW several times.

I would assume that you are right, probably the folder(s) weren't sync'ed - but I'm definitely sure that the owncloud status line said that synchronization was completed before I started 1PW installation. Anyway, I'm happy that I have again access to the 1PW folders with all my computers without restriction.

• MikeT
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi,

Then I got the strange messages that I should change the master password (what I tried without success)..

Yea, the change master password message is a red herring from the old days, we'll look at removing that legacy warning in a future update.

but I'm definitely sure that the owncloud status line said that synchronization was completed before I started 1PW installation.

From my experience, they can be wrong about that. I had Dropbox tell me that it was syn'ced only to find out it wasn't for another hour when I saw an update from another computer.

I'm glad everything is working now.

This discussion has been closed.