Crome Extension install fail due to Virus Detection

Hello.

Total 1Password newbie here. In my free trial month and want to really test this software before i commit. All was going well until I tried to install the Crome extension on my work laptop running Windows 7.

I get an error notification that the a virus was detected in the extension so it will not install.

Any ideas? Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: 1 Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @webleymk3! Sorry to hear about the trouble in Windows. I actually don't know what might be causing that off the top of my head, but I'm going to take a wild guess and ask whether you've got antivirus software installed beyond what's provided by Windows itself? The only thing I'd want to make sure of immediately is that you didn't get a copy of our extension from some odd, third-party site. You didn't, right? That's the only way I can imagine our extension being legitimately flagged as a virus -- if you somehow obtained a copy that had been tampered with from a malicious third party.

For the record, this is the proper URL to download our extensions. I'd try removing the one you have, restarting Chrome (and possibly your PC), downloading a fresh copy from that URL, and trying again. Let me know how that works for you.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

To follow up on what Lars said, sometimes AV software gets spooked by installing extensions from arbitrary websites, so I would also recommend to try installing directly from the Chrome Store here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-password-manage/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk This should rule out any AV concerns about our website.

I hope that helps!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• webleymk3
    webleymk3
    Community Member

Hey guys. thanks for your responses. I tried installing it from both 1Password webpage as well as Crome's own portal...

I cracked it though... it turns out i was running an older version of Crome. Once updated I was able to install the extension no bother!]

Who knew!

Thanks

Dave

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @webleymk3 -- that'll do it, yep! We've recently switched from using web sockets to using native messaging, and if you hadn't updated in a while, that could definitely have been your issue. Aside from that, it's just a good idea to stay as current as possible with your browser(s). Glad you figured it out! :)

This discussion has been closed.