Adding dropbox support to 1password 6 on windows?

Options

I bit the bullet and now we have a family 1password account. The only difference is that I chose to keep my old one (which I paid for as well) as a dropbox sync. On my mac this works great. I am able to login and add our family 1 password vaults and also add the personal dropbox one and it all is combined into one UI, which is fantastic.

On windwos on other hand I am screwed. I have to keep 1password 4 to be able to access my dropbox vaults while the family one is locked into 1password 6. Are there any plans to add similar support as the mac endpoint? Ideally I'd like to keep using my personal dropbox vault in 1password6 rather than the dated v4. I'd like to keep these separate because i feel a bit uneasy putting all my personal stuff (notes, passwords, etc.) into the shared one and I have no idea what sort of features in the future might make my personal stuff available to the admin of the account. etc. In general, I just feel safer sticking with my personal vault and using the family one for shared passwords only.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @timtam300 :)
    Congrats on the new families account. Let me first answer your main question. No, dropbox syncing will not be added to 1Password 6 for Windows. It will, however, be added to 1Password 7, whenever that gets released sometime in the future.

Let me also address some of the concerns you are having. As part of the Families account, you get access to two vaults by default: your "Personal" vault and the "Shared" vault. You can also create as many new extra vaults as you want. Anything placed in the shared vault or in an extra created vault could potentially be accessed by anyone with Family Organizer or Admin permissions since they can edit the permissions on created vaults. I trust my family enough to not do that unless it's specifically placed in the shared vault, but it could happen. Anything placed in your Personal vault, however, is yours and yours alone. Every member of the family is given their own "Personal" vault and nobody except that specific person, not even the account admin, can access that vault or anything in it. That is how it has been from the start and that is how it always will be. You can feel comfortable knowing that anything placed in your Personal vault is secure and private and nobody but you will ever be able to access it.

I hope that helps and clears up some of your concerns. :)

• timtam300
    timtam300
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt response Corey! I think the only worry I have is if I accidentally place something in the wrong vault, or if there is a bug that does this (you never know) and somehow some personal stuff ends up there. It's not about trust, it's more about keeping personal stuff outside of family vaults.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

That's fair, @timtam300. If that's what makes you comfortable then that's great.:+1: I just wanted to make sure you had all the information and didn't misunderstand how the vaults worked.

Glad I could be of service. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timtam300: I hear you. 1Password has settings that can help you with this (such as "default vault for saving"), and you can also create items explicitly in a specific vault by selecting it. I'm in a similar situation, as I've still got some legacy vaults I need to access from time to time. We won't be adding local vault support to 1Password 6, but it's one of the main things we're working on for 1Password 7. I can't say when that will be available, but I did want you to know that this is a use case we have in mind.

Getting back to vault mishaps, we do also test 1Password extensively ourselves in this fashion, as many of us are using 1Password not only as a team, but also with our families — and the last thing we want and the first thing we'd notice is saving to the wrong place! We've got a great team internally testing new releases before any customers use them, and many users who help test the betas in their environments as well. Not to say that bugs won't happen, but to illustrate that this is a particular area of interest to us as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.