1Password 4 + 6 and Mobile App Syncing

Options

Hey there!

I've been a big fan of 1Password4 for a few years now, but you guys have me seriously considering 1Password6 now that you offer Edge compatibility. My trial is about to expire, but before I bite the bullet I'd like to know how using both 4 and 6 will work with the mobile app? Here is my intended use scenario:

1. Continue using 1Password4 for my wallet items (sorry guys, I don't trust the cloud with my credit cards, passport details, bank accounts, etc). I sync 1Password4 with the Android mobile app over wifi.
  2. Use 1Password6 for my everyday passwords. Obviously, this will tie into the mobile app as well.

Will I still be able to sync v4 with the mobile app while also using v6? Will this just show up as different vaults?

Thank you all, and double thanks for the Edge integration!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Will I still be able to sync v4 with the mobile app while also using v6? Will this just show up as different vaults?

@Funky_D: Yes to both, but 1Password 4 and 6 were not designed to work together. I use both alternately, but it is a bit of a chore and may be even more difficult as we continue to develop 1Password 6, which is our focus, and its successor. 1Password 7 will support local vaults, but that is a ways off.

Thank you all, and double thanks for the Edge integration!

Thank you for the kind words! We're excited to have the Edge beta available publicly (finally!) too! :chuffed:

Continue using 1Password4 for my wallet items (sorry guys, I don't trust the cloud with my credit cards, passport details, bank accounts, etc). I sync 1Password4 with the Android mobile app over wifi.

As an aside, the cool thing is that you don't have to: your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And 1Password.com has the added security of the 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key, which, like your Master Password, is never transmitted to us. So the encrypted database stolen from us will be even more infeasible to break into than your local vault. Fortunately, there's a better way. :)

• Funky_D
    Funky_D
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed response @brenty ! I do realize 1Password has great security in place, I'm just paranoid and have a habit of keeping my personal stuff local whenever possible :)

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

No worries, we'll improve this in 1Password 7 to let you have it your way.

This discussion has been closed.