Where’s the browser button? [Removed; long press on the tab bar to active 1Browser]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I like 1Browser too, but we're deemphasizing that, as the 1Password iOS extension is much more powerful — not only because it can be used in more places, but also because those places can be more full-featured browsers. Cheers! :)

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    Options

Glad I found this. This was a horrible UX decision. The fact that you have so many people confused by how to access a common function of app should tell you all you need to know about this.

In other applications, when there are more functions to show rhanxwill fit, they opt to use the last on one the right as “more” or similar. You can select which will appear for one-tap, and you can still access the other, perhaps less used, functions in a more discoverable fashion.

There are indeed other examples, even on a “narrow” screen like the iPhone X, where a central fifth button is used in other apps (Dropbox):

Snotty approach I like is one Tweetbot uses, where a couple of the bottom buttons are springloaded, and allownone to customize or switch which view to select for that button.

So while t is nice to figure out it’s hiding there, i would still argue there are plenty of good examples of alternative ways to handle it, including one that is very similar to what was being done in the earlier version of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btaroli: To be clear, we're deemphasizing 1Browser intentionally. While it is useful, the 1Password iOS extension is more powerful and available in more places — including full-featured web browsers. 1Browser is still there for those who use it though. I was going to say "for those who want to", but the reality is that most of the time when people are using it it isn't out of choice, but because they happen to tap a URL within 1Password. I like it myself, but it is very much a relic of a time when this was the only way to fill logins on iOS, and there are better options now.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    Options

That’s too bad, really. It was absolutely a function I intentionally used versus Safari. I guess I’ll go looking For an option to just launch URLs to Safari directly. It would be best to just remove the function entirely if that’s the intent.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btaroli: I'm not sure I understand. 1Browser has not been removed. You can still open URLs in it in 1Password by tapping them in an item's details. And a long-press at the bottom of the screen will open it any other time. Cheers! :)

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

My point is no half measures. If the browser is visually hidden to de-emphasize its use — because it lacks features, etc — then it may make more sense to simply own that decision and remove it. Why the half measure? The feedback was, by my interpretation, “we don’t really expect people to use it, except by accident, and there Re better options.” Ok. So eliminate the deficient option. :smile:

Update: ah, I see... the browsing settings in the app don’t offer opening URL using Safari. That might be something to add :wink:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @btaroli, As much as removing 1Browser would solve some problems (17+ rating), there are still a large number of people that use it (consider that even 1% of the 1Password population is now a large number).

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@btaroli: I don't personally see why removing it completely is necessary. It doesn't hurt anyone for it to be there. If we follow "no half measures" to its logical conclusion, no one will ever do anything worthwhile — and we wouldn't have an iOS extension at all, since it can't do everything we want it to. ;)

• dwoolybull
    dwoolybull
    Community Member
    Options

The 1browser icon used to be easily found and used. I used 1browser to do web searches within 1Password.
    Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Cannot find web browser icon (1browser) when inside 1Password. Use to be easily found and accessed.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dwoolybull,

I’ve merged your thread with another on the same topic. Please see above.

Ben

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    Options

I hate to think what users who don’t frequent the forums do when they can’t figure out how to discover this.

On an interesting note, I’ve begun having to use 1Browser to access the forum because suddenly Safari just displays nothing when I try to follow notification links. Even tried purging “web site” data. Hmm.

• Ben
    Options

I would like to think that most people would be using the Safari extension, rather than 1Browser. :)

Interesting regarding the problems with this forum. I work here every day from an iPad using Safari. Might be worth starting a thread in the Lounge to discuss.

Ben

• Tabaluga
    Tabaluga
    Community Member
    Options

Haha, i just found this Thread after swiping in several direction on several items on the screen and swearing why this damn browser bottom was removed. Holding the bottom bar didn’t come to my mind.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear this thread was helpful, @Tabaluga. :)

Ben

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

In the latest 1Password 7.0.3 for iOS you lost the button to go straight to the 1Password Browser!
    Do i fail to see this feature or do i need to go there by my favourites (with swipe, click load) everytime?
    Can it save my last view?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.0.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• marc_anthony
    marc_anthony
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

+1

I agree. This is EXTREMELY frustrating that the browser launch button is GONE.

I hope this is just a bug that is about to be fixed

I’m the mean time, I’ve created an entry titled “aa 1browser launcher” (so it sorts to the top) with a URL of google.com so I can bring up the browser then access other tabs where I was still on a page

PLEASE RETURN THE BUTTON. It is a bug that you removed it and you should not until you are fully integrated into Safari browser, which could be never.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I’ve merged your thread with another on the same subject. Please see above.

We aren’t planning on adding a button back, but a long press on the tab bar at the bottom of 1Password will bring up 1Browser for you. It’s removal is not a bug. It was intentional.

Thanks.

Ben

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

thank you Ben, works for me!

... but how should somebody know that this feature exists in 1PW?
    Looks like strategically UX for me! (an invisible button, tzzz)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@theElvis: That's a fair question. In fact, 1Browser only exists because, until iOS 8, that was the only way to use 1Password to save and fill login credentials. :scream:

I know it's hard to believe now (and I often forget too!) but now that we have the 1Password iOS extension, which can be used to fill in full-featured browsers as well as many other apps, most people don't even use it. And those of us who do (myself included — old habits die hard!) do so by tapping a URL in a login item. So people like who and I who use 1Browser on purpose (and know that it exists in the first place) are a rare breed. ;)

I expect that if we're able to open and fill in Safari as easily in a future version of iOS we'll get rid of 1Browser completely. It was a critical feature pre-extension, but today there's a better option in the vast majority of cases — which is why we're deemphasizing it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty first great props for your great support!

You have good reasons anyway i hope you will keep the browser for a long time.
    Especially it rises the usage time of the 1PW App in Apple Stats ;)

Sitenote:
    In my case i use 1Password Browser for Privacy Reasons (Facebook Messages do not work in Safari) + i don't like to be logged in in my Safari Browser + many Banking stuff needs is great behind the 1Password Barrier.

• Ben
    Options

While I understand some folks use it for that purpose, and appreciate that it works the way it does, 1Browser was never intended to be a password protected replacement for Safari. It really isn't a design goal of 1Password to offer an in-app browser.

As Brenty mentioned we really only ever did it because at the time it was the only solution we could find. Now that we have the Safari extension, which is really what we wanted all along, the only reason 1Browser still exists is because Go & Fill still isn't possible in Safari. Go & Fill is where you tap on a website field in a Login item and 1Browser takes you to the site and fills your credentials with no further action needed. With Safari we could have Safari take you to the page, but you'd still need to go through the steps to activate the extension to fill. If Go & Fill were to become possible with Safari it is likely that we'd look to even further de-emphasize or remove 1Browser.

1Browser causes us some difficulties, particularly the fact that because it exists 1Password must be rated 17+, which isn't so great when trying to get families on board with password management. :)

We do appreciate the feedback though, and it is helpful to know how folks are using 1Password / 1Browser, even if it is for purposes other than what we intended.

Thanks!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theElvis: In addition to the 1Password iOS extension being available, there are also really great, full-featured, privacy-focused browsers out there as well (Firefox Focus and Brave, to name a couple). We're focused on making 1Password the best password manager, so we're not going to be able to devote as many resources to developing a really great browser — and since many good options exist now, we really don't need to. :)

• GrangerHam
    GrangerHam
    Community Member
    Options

I'm very sorry to hear that you have decided to de-emphasize 1Browser in iOS because the go and fill feature is a great feature and a real time-saver. Consider an online bill-paying workflow where the user has to open one or more biller web pages to check amounts owing, plus the bank's website to pay the amounts, and also record confirmation numbers in secure notes. In 1Browser this is a snap, and the browser button made it easy to jump back and forth. In Safari with the 1P extension, one has to open the page, launch and unlock the extension, and select the login for each site. Recording information in secure notes requires switching apps. Not convenient.

Your users are providing you with more resources than ever with the subscription model. I don’t think it’s asking too much in exchange to maintain a long standing and useful feature, at least until you can implement go and fill on Safari. I’d really like to have the button back.

• @GrangerHam: De-emphasize doesn't meant remove. It's still there and, as far as I'm aware, we have no specific plans to remove it. The means of accessing it (long press on the tab bar) has just changed. I see no reason a similar workflow with the 1Password browser shouldn't remain nearly as simple as it was before, but if there's a particular reason this doesn't work for you, we're all ears. :chuffed:

• linetrace
    linetrace
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, the long press of the tab bar to open the the browser is definitely confusing, surprising, and well hidden. It has taken me a while to find this and figure it out.

I understand the reasons for it’s removal, and respectfully disagree with it. I certainly prefer to use the 1Password extension in Safari on iOS, but there are times when it’s necessary to use browser in 1Password. I’d suggest at least a note in the settings, and would love for it to appear when space is available (I use frequently use an iPad Pro in landscape mode, where there is room).

While on the topic of settings and the tab bar, I never use Favorites, so maybe an option in Settings to swap out Favorites for the browser would be a possible solution too.

• Ben
    Options

Noted. Thanks for the feedback, @linetrace. That said, we’d love to hear about what you’re finding you need 1Browser for that you cannot do in Safari with the 1Password extension (other than Go & Fill; we know about that :) ). This thread probably isn’t the best spot for it, but if you’d like to start a new thread, or email us at support@agilebits.com (with a reference to this thread) we’d really like to hear about your use case.

Thanks.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@AndrewParker

Safari’s Private mode is probably a better way to accomplish that goal:

Use Private Browsing on iOS - Apple Support

:)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

We’re always open to user feedback, however we are giving the bulk of our attention to the 1Password extension, rather than 1Browser, and as such we’d recommend customers consider using that option.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.