transfer data from my 1Password 6.6.457 trial account over into my 1Password 4 for Windows 4.6.2.626

Options

How can I transfer the data from my 1Password 6.6.457 for Windows trial account over into my 1Password 4 for Windows 4.6.2.626?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626, 6.6.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:transfer from 1password6 to 1password4

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @spuyallup,

Thank you for reaching out!

I am sorry to hear that you want to give up on 1Password 6 and your account. Is there anything that can change your mind? We believe that 1Password accounts is the best way of using 1Password right now and your feedback is really important to us, so please share why you have decided against it. Thanks!

As for your question at hand, you can try to export your data out of 1Password 6 and then import it to a local vault in 1Password 4, but it might be complicated. Please let us know if you bump into any troubles.

Additionally, please note that exported data files are not encrypted. They are stored in plain text. Anyone with access to your exported data files will be able to read your passwords. Do not email exported data files or store them online. Delete them when you are done with them.

Looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

• spuyallup
    spuyallup
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Greg, AgileBits Team,

Thank you for your prompt attention. I saw and briefly tried the export, had found the same as you mentioned, that the data is not encrypted and is in simple text format (or csv if so chosen), all of which is quite disappointing to see a vendor such as AgileBits offer something so insecure for highly secure/sensitive data for which their primary objective of the product is to have this data fully secure.

Like many others whom expressed much the same, I do not want my highly sensitive and confidential data up in the Cloud where I have very little, if any, control over any of it. I want all of my data local to just me and just on my physical devices (PC, iPhone, iPad).

I realize that AgileBits is very focused on taking necessary measures to ensure all data is secure and cannot be compromised (which we all appreciate and, of course, expect). Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee that AgileBits, or anyone else, can provide.

I also do not want to pay for a subscription based service. I prefer to pay for and use the non-subscription (aka on-prem) based product which I have already paid for several times, and to have my data local to me, where I know exactly where it is at, in my control.

AgileBits has a large following, and as it's apparent that many do not want to move their highly secure/sensitive data up in the Cloud, and many also do not want a subscription based service, I ask that you please resume investing resources into the non-subscription (aka on-prem) based product.

Please advise on AgileBits direction with making 1Password 6 available for local installation and local storage. Any roadmaps?

Thanks,
    Scott

• prccn
    prccn
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg I have exported my data out of 1Password 6. Now I want to import it to 1Password 4, it is the only way to manually enter them? Are not there any other automated import solutions?

Thanks.
    Aisin

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spuyallup: I am not sure I completely understand your point here:

I saw and briefly tried the export, had found the same as you mentioned, that the data is not encrypted and is in simple text format (or csv if so chosen), all of which is quite disappointing to see a vendor such as AgileBits offer something so insecure for highly secure/sensitive data for which their primary objective of the product is to have this data fully secure.

If we make the exported file encrypted, you won't be able to access your data without 1Password and that is not what we are trying to achieve by exporting your data out of 1Password. Please correct me if I am wrong here. As for our plans in regards to local vaults and standalone licenses, please check my reply in a neighbour thread here. TL;DR: we are planning to bring the support of standalone licenses and local vaults back in 1Password 7 for Windows, so please stay tuned. :+1: Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

@prccn: Please try to export your data out of 1Password 6 in .CSV and import the exported file in to 1Password 4. This export/import process is not ideal, because 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app that will not get new features in the future, so we did not expect people migrating back to it. As I've mentioned above, the support for local vaults is coming back in 1Password 7 for Windows and upgrading the app will be better than migrating your data back and forth. Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• prccn
    prccn
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Thanks for your reply. so when will 1Password 7 for Windows be released?

• spuyallup
    spuyallup
    Community Member
    Options

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/Greg

My main objective was to transfer my data from 1Password 6.6.457 over into my existing vault in 1Password 4 for Windows 4.6.2.626. So I was hoping, somewhat expecting, that process to be secure and more streamlined. NP, it wasn't a ton of data, I've already moved it all.

I'm very happy to hear of the upcoming 1Password 7 for Windows! Thank you and AgileBits! Can you share an ETA with us?

Thanks,
    Scott

• @spuyallup and @prccn: It's too early to share a release date as frankly we really don't know when it will be ready ourselves. We have aspirations, of course, but as with all things we don't want to make promises we're not certain we can keep. For now, let's just say we're working hard on 1Password 7 and will bust our butts to get it in top shape and ready to go as quickly as we can. :chuffed:

As for your point about the ease of transferring data, @spuyallup, we found most folks kept their Agile Keychain around while trying out 1Password 6 allowing them to sync back up with their old vault. Of course, some like yourself have had a need to move data from one app to another, but building an export function for such a purpose from scratch would be no small task, unfortunately. Now, with 1Password 7 on the horizon, standalone vaults and 1Password accounts will be usable in the same app again eliminating the need to get data from one app to another which was always the end goal. I'm glad you were able to get things sorted this time, but I look forward to a simpler solution all the same. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.