Where do I find the button to paste a two-factor authentication QR code into a login record?

Options

Hi there, I'm trying to set up two-factor authentication for a website I use. I've copied the QR code from their site, but the instructions here https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/ say I need, in 1password, to select the QR code icon and choose “From clipboard”. However, I can't see that the QR code icon appears anywhere on my screen (see screenshot below). I feel like I'm missing something obvious; can you help please?

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:pasting qr code

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @melissa_ppa,

Thank you for using 1Password! :+1:

Pleas try to press on an ellipsis button on the left:

You should be able to select a One-time Password from the context menu there. Let me know if it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• melissa_ppa
    melissa_ppa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, thanks very much for your response! The selecting One-Time Password is fine and has worked, but I don't get the QR code icon anywhere to click on and paste the QR code to? Thanks, Melissa.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melissa_ppa: That is weird. Once you select One-Time Password from the menu, a QR code icon should appear to the left of ellipsis button:

Please share a screenshot from your side, if you don't see a QR code icon. Thanks!

• melissa_ppa
    melissa_ppa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, I don't get this unfortunately! Please see the screenshot below:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melissa_ppa: Are you sure you selected One-Time Password in the context menu after clicking on the ellipsis? If you select any other option there, you will not get a QR code icon.

Additionally, please try to select Password there. What icon do you get after that? Thanks!

• melissa_ppa
    melissa_ppa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, yes I definitely selected One-Time Password (and have done several times) but no QR code icon appeared. When I saved and came out of the edit screen, it had the countdown with the six digit passcode, so it had clocked the fact that I've clicked One-Time Password (but obviously the six digit passcode didn't work on the third party website as I hadn't associated it with the QR code).

When I select Password, I get the key icon.

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melissa_ppa: That is quite strange. Could you please specify the exact version of 1Password 6 you are using on your PC?

Thanks!

• melissa_ppa
    melissa_ppa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, it's 6.7.457

• @melissa_ppa: It looks like you may be using 1Password.com to add this OTP field rather than the main 1Password desktop app. I actually didn't notice it at first and was stumped until a teammate pointed out that the vault label was in the wrong place for 1Password 6 for Windows. 1Password.com doesn't have a QR code scanner, but the Windows app does. If you open up the 1Password 6 program (you search for it by opening Start and typing 1Password 6), you should see the icon Greg is referencing. Sorry for the bit of a goose chase here -- I never realized how similar the Windows app and 1Password.com looked until now! I have to admit, it had me fooled too. :blush:

• melissa_ppa
    melissa_ppa
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, thanks so much for your help! Yes I was using 1password.com and now I've opened up the desktop app I can see the QR code icon :chuffed: Thank you both for getting to the bottom of it for me and have a great weekend! Melissa.

• On behalf of the team, you're welcome and you have a great weekend as well!

This discussion has been closed.