Navigating to site and logging in has 3 different behaviors

Options

Last week I talked a couple of non-technical friends of friends into starting a 1Password Families account to improve their password hygiene. They were one data breach away from disaster, and we've fixed up all of the most important accounts now. However, they found some surprising usability inconsistencies along the way that I'd like to ask about. Note that the behavior described was observed using Chrome.

1. If you are in the 1Password for Windows app and you click on the URL for the site you want to load in the browswer, it loads, but no username/password filling is done.
  2. If you use the 1Password browser plugin to find the login that you want and click on it, you're taken to the site and your username/password are entered, but the "Login" button isn't pressed for you.
  3. If you navigate to the desired site and use the 1Password browser plugin to enter your credentials, they are entered and the Login button is pressed for you.

So far we haven't found a way to make everything work in one action - click on the URL, enter credentials, press "Login" or "Go" or what have you. However, on my Windows 8.1 system, #1 above does everying. Using the same numbered scenarios as above:

1. Clicking on URL in the app brings up the site, fills in my data and presses "Login". Viola!
  2. Same behavior as above - credentials entered, no "Login" pressed.
  3. Same behavior as above - credentials entered and "Login" is pressed.

For someone like me who is accustomed to learning the quirks and nuances of software, it's hardly a blip on the radar. But for them it's a major usability issue that is causing them considerable confusion. We could not find any way to make #1 do anything besides act like a bookmark.

I think #2 is a bug, and should be addressed. #3 works as expected. #1 is a mystery why it's different on my Windows system vs. theirs; can't find a setting to adjust to make theirs work as desired. Any suggestions?

Regards,

• Leo

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

For someone like me who is accustomed to learning the quirks and nuances of software, it's hardly a blip on the radar. But for them it's a major usability issue that is causing them considerable confusion. We could not find any way to make #1 do anything besides act like a bookmark.

@Leomania: Thank you for the feedback! This sums it up I think. I don't think these qualify as bugs, but nevertheless they are shortcomings in the new Windows app. Part of that is trying to support multiple OSes with some pretty significant differences (Windows 7, 8.1, and 10), and the other is just a lack of maturity in the new app. It's come a long way, but these are definitely areas where it needs to be improved for a smoother, more consistent user experience.

With regard to settings, the only one that should have any bearing on this is 1Password Settings > Browsers > Automatically Sign In. Provided that is checked on each machine, the only things you can do are continue giving us constructive criticism like this and wait patiently while we work to improve it. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience (and your friends') with us. :blush:

• Leomania
    Leomania
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully these are captured as UI enhancements in your bug tracking system and can be taken care of as priorities allow.

One other thing to note, the need to install 1Password per-user in Windows (at least in Win 10) was another stumbling block. My friends have transitioned to having three laptops that they use interchangeably. So after setting up all three to have the four individual accounts, they had to install 1Password twelve times to get everyone in the family set up. Whatever the reason that led to the need to install 1Password in this manner compared to really every other bit of software I've ever worked with on Windows, it was yet another "you've got to be kidding me" moment for them.

I don't know how unique their sharing model is, but in any case wanted to relate that example as well.

Regards,

• Leo
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully these are captured as UI enhancements in your bug tracking system and can be taken care of as priorities allow.

@Leomania: Likewise, thank you, Leo. I'm sorry I don't have a good solution to this particular situation for you and your friends right now, but it's something we need to keep in mind as we continue building 1Password for Windows. :blush:

One other thing to note, the need to install 1Password per-user in Windows (at least in Win 10) was another stumbling block. My friends have transitioned to having three laptops that they use interchangeably. So after setting up all three to have the four individual accounts, they had to install 1Password twelve times to get everyone in the family set up. Whatever the reason that led to the need to install 1Password in this manner compared to really every other bit of software I've ever worked with on Windows, it was yet another "you've got to be kidding me" moment for them. I don't know how unique their sharing model is, but in any case wanted to relate that example as well.

Honestly this was due to user feedback primarily, but also because of the Microsoft tools we're currently using (and also that we hope to have a UWP/Windows Store app in the future, which will work similarly). Most users don't care one way or the other, but those who do are in a business setting where software installation can be pretty restrictive. As a more concrete example, one of the biggest complaints we received about the previous version was that it required admin rights to install. Because 1Password 6 works the way it does, this is no longer the case. I'm sorry that these decisions have resulted in having to install the app for each user. But on the plus side, that's a one-time operation, and updates can, in most cases, happen automatically. We'd like to make it more flexible in the future if we can, but I do think that, though inconvenient for you initially, making it possible for people to use 1Password who otherwise would not be able to at all due to company restrictions is the right thing to do. Nevertheless, I apologize that negatively impacted your experience. And I really appreciate you taking the time to share that here so we can weigh that as well as we develop future versions. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.