after installing 1password extension to firefox 57, the icon goes grey in the menu bar

Hi,
I installed Firefox 57 and through preferences in the 1Password, added the extension for Firefox.
when I launch Firefox, the 1Paswword icon shows up for a second in the menu bar and then becomes grey and becomes inactive.
I have removed it, and re-installed it again and again. The same story.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:after installing 1password extension to firefox 57, the icon goes grey in the menu bar

Comments

• Hi @handsome110,

Can you open the main 1Password 4 program and go to the Help Menu > Advanced to enable Use Native Messaging Protocol.

After that, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, and then Firefox, does 1Password work now?

• aacservices
    aacservices
    Community Member

Can't seem to get the firefox 57 extension working in windows 10.
    Most promising help I could find was turn-on
    Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced.

But, I don't have that option in 1 Password...all I have are options for
    Copy UUID
    Copy JSON (both greyed out)
    Verify web browser code signature
    Tune 1Password for max performance (both checked)

When I check for 1Password updates in the app, I get this message:
    "unknown_ca".....etc. which I understand might have something to do with SSL protocols...
    Help!

• Hi @aacservices,

What version are you using of 1Password are you using, you can go to the Help > About 1Password to find it.

It should be 1Password 4.6.2.626:

• aacservices
    aacservices
    Community Member

Looks like I have an older version - 4.6.1.617
    But with the update error I mentioned, how do I update?
    On another thread I found instructions for copying my data folder and then re-installing, but when I paste the link for finding my data folder into the Start menu search bar, no results are found. Where is the data folder physically located on the hard drive?

• Hi @aacservices,

The error you saw is an interference by a security tool that's trying to hijack the secure connections between 1Password and our servers, common in work networks. Your anti-malware solution might be the one doing this.

You can manually download 1Password 4.6.2 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

You don't need to copy or move your 1Password data folder at all, 1Password app files and data files are stored separately, so that you can reinstall without it affecting your data.

To answer your question, you can find the location to your 1Password data folder by opening 1Password 4 and go to the File Menu > Reopen 1Password Vault, it'll show the current path.

The default location is usually your Documents > 1Password directory but it can differ for each person as you can move the vault elsewhere like the Dropbox folder.

• aacservices
    aacservices
    Community Member

Thanks for your help! Do I have to uninstall, restart, and re-install? Or can I just click the downloaded file & all will go smoothly?

• Hi @aacservices,

Close your web browsers with 1Password extension and then just run the downloaded installer, it'll update 1Password for you.

• aacservices
    aacservices
    Community Member

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.