Can't install (as of today!)

Hello, when I logged in this morning I got odd error messages and realized later 1Password uninstalled itself. There is no record of the program haing been on my program except a greyed out browser extension. When I go to install the latest version, I get a "access denied" error. Other programs are installing fine, and i have already disabled my virus software, changed my permission settings, and I am an administrator. Windows up to date, and it has rebooted many times. All of a sudden this program only will not install as of today. What should I do? I need my passwords (I depend on this software!)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JerryAlbee: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password can't and won't uninstall itself, but other software certainly may. What "security" software are you running? The most common issue we encounter is that antivirus deletes 1Password's files, especially during installation and updates, so that it fails. Let me know!

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

same problem use malwarebytes and widows defender. turned off malwarebytes still wont install, access denied. ill try turning off windows defender

• @gfulop sorry the inconvenience, usually access denied happens when either some of the browsers (Edge, Firefox, Chrome) are keeping 1Password running or AV software is blocking access while scanning files. Please try closing browsers or add 1Password to exclusion lists for AV and let us know if that helps.

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

Thanks for prompt reply. I closed all browsers and added 1p to excluded list in malwarebytes and windows defender. Ran install as administrator and access denied.....again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gfulop: What do you mean by "access denied"? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

Thanks for prompt reply. I closed all browsers and added 1p to excluded list in malwarebytes and windows defender. Ran install as administrator and access denied.....again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gfulop: It looks like you just reposted the same comment. Did you see my reply above?

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

1p installs a bunch of files, then it gets to "uninstalling temp/setup files", "access is denied" pops up and then 1p rolls back changes.

• Hi @gfulop,

Thanks for the screenshots. This looks like a permission issue.

Can you do this and let me know if it helps:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password (Can you tell me if you see any folders in it, like data?)
    2. Right-click in this directory to select Properties and go to the General tab.
    3. In the General tab, go to the bottom to the Attributes section, uncheck the box next to Hidden and you'll get a confirm dialog, make sure it is set to Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files and press OK.

Try to reinstall 1Password once more, does it work?

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

I'm getting the exact same problem. It started when I attempted to do the update that I was prompted for in 1Password yesterday.

• Hi @GardateK,

Did you try my suggestion? Access is denied is a permission issue out of our control.

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

I'm getting the exact same problem. It started when I attempted to do the update that I was prompted for in 1Password yesterday.

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

I did try your suggestions. I am the Administrator of this computer and am logged in as such. Is there a service that might be running that is locking the files? I have already disabled the extensions in Chrome and Firefox. It worked fine until I attempted the update and the update failed and now I can't use 1Password. Since I am the Administrator, and the app failed it's update it shouldn't be a permissions issue if the update was built properly. Any other ideas?

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

Thanks. I applied changes and reinstalled 1p. access is denied. I noticed that the last file flashing by before the access denial popup, the install program was trying to write to the start menu.... (it flashed by pretty fast, then the security denial pops up.)

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Ok, I got it to work. I Disabled Norton Smart Firewall, Disabled Norton Auto-Protect, Quit MalwareBytes, Disabled the Chrome and Firefox extensions for 1Password, and ran the 1PasswordSetup-6.8.492.exe as an administrator. It worked. I'm not used to having to disable my entire security system to do a program update (especially when the app prompts me to update) so I needed to dig a little deeper. I do wish the prompted update of the app was smoother than that. Other than that, I love the app and heartily recommend it to others.

• Hi guys,

1. Do you have Flux installed?

2. Can you check Event Viewer to see if there are more details that can help? This guide may help: https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-crash-report/ (it's for collecting crash report but failed installer can log here as well). Please email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread included along with your forum username.

Note: Do not install as admin if you're running as a standard user, this is not supported and will break the install as well as any updates. 1Password does not require admin rights and installs to the user's local profile. If you did do this, you must uninstall 1Password in all accounts and install it normally in each account without admin rights.

@Gardatek, our installer is supposed to terminate all running 1Password processes prior to update and it will let you know if there's a locked file with the file name listed. Access is denied is a different error, usually a permission-based one but it can be a red herring, we've seen random Windows updates that caused different errors with entirely different causes.

..the app failed it's update it shouldn't be a permissions issue if the update was built properly. Any other ideas?

It's not likely due to the update itself, our logs shows the majority of users have installed the last update and signed in without any issues and none of our testings show this issue. There could be something else involved that may be related due to recent changes in the app itself, we had a few anti-malware solutions flagged/deleted our files randomly because they treat the new update as suspicious. We've contacted most of them to remove the false positives.

In almost 99% of the failed install, it is due to an external interaction. We just need to find what's running on your system that could explain this.

The last thing to try is this:

1. Check if 1Password is shown as installed in Control Panel or if you're on Windows 10, Settings > Apps & Features. If yes, uninstall it.
    2. Reboot
    3. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    4. Do you see a folder called app? If yes, that may be the cause, this should've been removed. Move this app folder to your desktop and try to install 1Password 6 now.
  • Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

Although my 1Password app came back to life after the steps I've taken, neither the Chrome extension or the Firefox extensions work now. I removed those from both browsers and re-installed them from your site but they still aren't working. They are grayed out and just has a menu but not the usual functionality.

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

After doing the above and restarting my computer again, my browser extensions now work. Thanks for the help!

• Hi @Gardatek,

That may be because Native Messaging is disabled due to the install not completing fully. We modify the registry to enable Native Messaging for the browsers to use.

Here's how to re-enable it: open the main 1Password 6 app, unlock, go to the 1Password Menu > Settings. In Settings, go to the Advanced tab and on the bottom, check the boxes next to Enable Native Messaging for Chrome and for Firefox as well.

After that, restart your web browser and 1Password should work in there now.

• Gardatek
    Gardatek
    Community Member

MikeT, thanks again for the quick responses and the help. I checked those settings in the app and they are enabled. It appears to be the extra computer restart after reinstalling the extensions that did it. Thanks again!

• Awesome, thanks for letting us know what you had to do. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again but we'll keep investigating as we do plan to change our installer in the near future with a better solution that can try to proactively detect potential problems.

• gfulop
    gfulop
    Community Member

thanks mike removing the data (dated today) and app (dated 10/16) subfolders to desktop allowed the install to complete. for whatever reason, even w malwarebytes off, the install program could not delete the previous versions app folder (hint to 1pprogrammers)

thanks again

• Hi @gfulop,

That's great! Thanks for letting us know. That's part of the plans to change to a different vendor or even build our own installer in the future, the current one doesn't really work well to halt the move when it is not able to replace the folder properly.

This discussion has been closed.