Installation issue.

Options

Hi I have 1Password running on 3 devices. I have purchased a new W10 Lap Top & I am trying to load 1P on the new device. The App has downloaded but just displays a screen with a graphic & the message - 'Please ensure the latest version of 1P for Windows is installed on your computer before opening Edge to enable the 1P extension for the first time'. I cannot find any options or active links on this screen. I have just downloaded the latest version.
Edge seems to know !P is installed but again says download the latest App.

Help please
Colin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: 1Password App failed to load on W10

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Colin_Foster,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password!

It sounds like you downloaded 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge from the Microsoft Store, but did not install 1Password app itself.
    The extension in the browser will not work without the app, as it doesn't have any information about your account and needs an app to communicate with. Here is how you can set it up:

Get the 1Password apps (Windows)

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Colin_Foster
    Colin_Foster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg
    Yes sorted,thanks.
    I have looked in the Microsoft Apps Store again & does seem to only offer the 1Password Extension for Edge App, no sign of the 1Password App for Windows, strange?
    Lat time I contacted 1P Support I was told the 1P Extension did not support the MS Edge Browser, when did this change & why was it not highlighted please?

Thanks for your help.

Colin

• Hi @Colin_Foster,

That's great, thanks for letting us know. We started supporting Edge in a limited fashion back in October, here's the blog post: https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/10/10/1password-living-on-the-microsoft-edge/

The regular 1Password desktop app requires deeper access that is not permitted by the Microsoft Store's regulations, so it cannot be in there. If we put the whole 1Password app in the Microsoft Store, we cannot work with any of the desktop browsers with additional complexities that may not work.

Microsoft Edge requires all extensions to be hosted in the Microsoft Store and there are other restrictions. So, what we did is build a mini app that works with Microsoft Store and embeds 1Password extension for Edge, it'll allows the 1Password extension to connect to the regular desktop app via a complex set of processes.

Unfortunately, it's not a smooth process, and so it's not highlighted because there are far too many obstacles and known issues with Edge. Not to mention that each Windows update does something that can either improve or break the integration.

We strongly recommend Firefox or Chrome rather than Edge for the best 1Password experience.

This discussion has been closed.