1Password app update issue

xan
xan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Since I've updated to 1Password 6-ish I've been facing an update issue on Win10.

Every time I press "Check for updates", and an update is available, I proceed to try to install it. However, the app always seems to get stuck, because the button becomes gray with the writing "Updating...", but nothing happens - even if I let the app open for several hours straight.

I've managed to successfully update the app by first closing it and then running as admin. Even though this solution seems to work (I'm now on running the most-updated stable version), I believe it is possible to fix this issue instead of being obliged to run the app as admin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

1Password Version: 6.8.492
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 v10.0.16299 Build 16299
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It sounds like something is preventing 1Password from updating. Ofter this is caused by "security" software...but based on your description it sounds like you may have installed it as an admin for some reason, which is neither required nor recommended, and so it's necessary for you to escalate in order for 1Password to write to the location where you've installed it. This isn't something we can fix (obviously, since 1Password cannot even update itself in that case!) but if you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account, you can simply start over, uninstall 1Password 6, and then install a fresh copy without admin rights. That will also allow 1Password to automatically update itself when it's locked and not in use. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• xan
    xan
    Community Member

@brenty: Yep, you're right. I had previously installed 1Password as admin. The reason was that I was facing a problem with access permissions to Windows' %temp% folder, and installing as admin was a quick (and dirty) temporary fix.

I've just uninstalled 1Password and installed a fresh copy of 1Password 6.8.491 without admin rights. The updating process to 6.8.492 worked without any issues!

Thanks a lot for helping :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xan: Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the update (pun sort of intended)! Glad to hear all is well now. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.