Import icon from URL

Options
TheDave
TheDave
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Howdy!

I'm glad to see 1Password is finally starting to support custom icons. Would it be possible to load icons from a URL rather than requiring me to save the file, upload it, and then delete the file?

This would be in addition to loading from a file.

1Password Version: 7.0.511
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @TheDave,

Thanks for the request! At the moment, it’s not planned for the first iteration but we do want to do that in the future. We have plans to overhaul our Rich Icons service and we may actually build it up to pull the icons from the website automatically as a fallback. We also have more sources we can pull from like the Google/iOS/Mac App Stores, Windows Live Tiles and so on that we request from if the site has no usable media asset.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, that's fair. And for whatever it is worth, I'd be happy to contribute icons that back to the rich icon service as well if that were an option. Obviously taking user-contributed content has a whole host of complications of its own.

• MikeT
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

Yep, it is a wish of ours to make it a crowd-source type of service, so that anyone can submit their images but as you correctly guessed, it has its own cons.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

You could consider crowd-souring approvals too, I'd certainly volunteer to use and approve/disapprove images posted by other users for sites that we have in common.

• True, we could invite community moderators to our 1Password.com vault to access the said service. :smile:

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

I'd hope it would be even easier than that, why not build it into my usual workflow?

I imagine items in my own 1Password vault showing the current icon, and when a new one is submitted show it to the right along with some "New proposed icon" buttons. For UI space reasons, maybe have these show up when clicking on the icon?

This would give me options like "Approve and replace my personal icon" "Approve, but don't replace my personal icon" "Decline: Not a good match" "Decline: Too fuzzy/small/unclear" "Report abuse" type options. This way when I spot one in my normal workflow I can address it or not as I see fit.

Add to that a special filter view (similar to the security views) which would show only items where a pending icon is available for review. Maybe also possibly bring these to my attention in some fashion, perhaps a statusbar with a "X new icons available for review" to encourage engagement? I'd appreciate the reminder as there might be services that I don't often look at in 1Password that still need attention.

Of course some place to login to help review all icons would be neat, rather than just the ones for sites I already use, but I feel like you'd get a lot more volunteers helping if it fit into the normal workflow.

Also, back to the original request but considering that there might be Rich Icon service improvements/additions, when I want to update current icons I'd like to have a couple more menu items:

• Add icon from file
    • Add icon from URL
    • Revert to default (clearing the current icon, using the one from your service, only shown if available)
    • Clear icon (and leave it blank)
  • Hi @TheDave,

We'll look into adding more options to the icon menu like Add icon from URL, Clear icon and so on.

As for building it into the workflow, I'm not sure how likely that'll happen. We'll have to wait until we get to actually rebuilding the Rich Icon service to see what we can do. Right now, even with that idea, it'd eat up a lot of our limited development resources that we can't spare at the moment.

• I must admit, I love these ideas ;)

• Hi @TheDave,

We made some adjustments in the latest 517 update that can help with some of the actions you do, such as supporting direct URL links in the clipboard.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Neat. Thanks!

• On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.