Could it be syncing with 1password.com is not working correctly

Options
Gromit1965
Gromit1965
Community Member
edited February 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

In the last days I observed not all my passwords were synched correctly on my Surface(!) with my other devices.
Strange thing: on my Windows Pro 10 Desktop PC all is working fine.

Example: I create a new login on my iPhone. In parallel I see the new login appears within seconds on my desktop PC - ok.
Later on I started my Surface and want to use the new login - but it was not in my 1Password App.

Then I come to know the Tag for the new login was missing. So I added a Tag to the new login on my desktop PC and the new login appears immediately on my Surface.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:sync does not work correctly

Comments

• @Gromit1965: Is this a consistent problem on the Surface any time you add a new item? Also, you mentioned in your example that the item appeared right away when you added the tag. Was 1Password open and running on the Surface at the time? I'm wondering if this is an overarching issue with sync for you on the Surface or if it's only that first sync when you started it that's being troublesome. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Gromit1965
    Gromit1965
    Community Member
    Options

It’s a consistent problem on the Surface. Since I’m using my Surface only a couple of days as an occasional device, I don’t know when this behavior starts. When I added a new password to 1Password the Surface was switched off.
    What I’ve tested right now:
    1 Sync is working well, when I create a new login on the Surface
    2 Sync is also working well, when I modify a login and the Surface is active
    3 Sync is working well when the Surface is active but 1Password is not running. After starting 1Password the login is correct
    4 Syncing is NOT working when I created a new login on my iPhone while the surface is switched off. The new login appears only, when I modify anything on the existing login. (Same vault is used - personal)

That is the issue!

This also explains a discrepancy on the numbers of Logins on the Surface (195) and on my iPhone (197)!

How I can force a sync between my Surface and the 1Password cloud ?

Thank you for any suggestions :-)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Gromit1965,

1Password client should try (and retry) to send data to the server when you make changes on your Surface, and similarly the server will attempt to push the changes through to your Surface once it receives the data. However, if something is interfering these two processes may not work consistently.

Am I right to understand that you make a change in 1Password on your iPhone, then switch your Surface on, open and unlock 1Password app, and do not see the change there? The change only appear when you modify an existing Login item?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Gromit1965
    Gromit1965
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    Yes you understood it right.
    Any idea how I could force a sync ?

Maybe - it would be a good improvement to integrate a button for the same in future ?

BR
    Thomas

• @Gromit1965: Thanks for the excellent description up there. It took me a bit to sort though as sync is a complicated beast, but I figured out this is actually related to a known issue where 1Password isn't performing a sync on unlock. Ordinarily lock/unlock would force a sync (well, actually unlocking itself should trigger a sync), but right now that's not happening. We're working on fixing it.

As for forcing a sync, presently you'll need to make an edit (either locally or remotely). Then either 1Password on your Surface or the server will let your app(s) know they need to sync and they'll sync up everything (old and new). We've had several requests for a "sync now" button any time a sync issue pops up, but we've consistently declined to implement one. Reason being, you're talking to us right now and telling us what's not working. If that button existed, you might just click it and be done with it. Maybe we notice the problem ourselves and fix it anyway, but maybe we don't and it just stays broken. We don't want to introduce a feature to workaround something that's not working properly. We want to fix what's not working for good. So we probably won't ever add a "sync now" button, but we absolutely will get this issue fixed up so sync works as expected. :chuffed:

Thanks for passing this along and for working through it with us and we'll do our best to get this problem squared away quickly. :+1:

ref: OPW6-1845

• Gromit1965
    Gromit1965
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for confirming it’s really a bug.
    I’m sure you will fix it in the near future to make a great tool a little bit better ;)

• @Gromit1965: It's no problem at all! Sorry for the fuss and we'll get it fixed up as quick as we can. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.