How do I get 1 Password from my New MacBook Air onto my iPad ??......Please keep it very simple.

Options

Comments

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I've been looking through the posts and on Feb13th Lars made an observation which I did not follow but made it sound so simple to get 1P/W onto my iPad...was he right? Because it has got very complicated now. Can one of your experts have a look when they have time?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - Hi, can you refresh my memory? With all the hubbub around here this week, what with the launch of 1Password 7 for Mac beta and 1Password for Business, I can't remember what I said this morning, let alone last month. 😉

I re-read my posts in this thread from that day, but want to make sure we're on the same page. What is it you understood me to have said?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,thank you for coming back to me. Your explanation on the 13th Feb made my problem seem so small and so easy to achieve.
    I wanted to know how to get 1P/W on my iPad not just on my MacBook Air. Mainly due to my failings it has become really challenging. Brenty and Ben will attest to this and I applaud their patience. Yet your explanation makes it sound truly like a five minute job...not the days I'm spending on it...
    Here's what you wrote

February 13
    @jonatha - Can I ask what you're referring to? Have you been having a conversation with someone else in another thread on this forum? What do you mean by "not sure what you're looking for?" (Answer:Not sure how to do it)

In general, if you want to use 1Password on a new device and you've already been using it on an existing device, you'll need to sync the data. If you're using a 1password.com account, you can download 1Password for iOS from the App Store if you haven't already, and then sign into your account on the iPad. If you're using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, then you'll want to choose one of our advanced sync methods.
    You see I just don't know which buttons to press to achieve these moves.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: When Lars said that, I don't think he understood where you were at in the process. I didn't at that time either. We have guides for each of the advanced sync options, but I'm not sure if any of those is a good fit for you. It's relatively easy if you've already been syncing 1Password that way: you just configure the next device with that same sync option. And if you were comfortable with doing all of that yourself, that might be a good option for you. But given that doesn't seem to be the case, and we still don't know much at all about your setup, we wouldn't be able to answer any questions if you did run into trouble. So I do believe that a 1Password.com membership is the best option, and have been guiding you step by step to get that setup. It generally isn't this complicated, but you don't know if the app is up to date on your Mac that's an important place to start. In the end, once you have gotten setup with a 1Password.com membership, it's literally a two step process to use 1Password on any new device: install the app, and sign into your account. But first we need to get you setup with one. So let's try a different approach:

OK got there into top hits they are listed......... 1P/W 6.......1P/W trouble shooting......Skype P/W.....I Tunes P/W.....1P/W 6.8.8 Pkg... Which of these do I click on?

Double-click on "1PasswordTroubleshooting". That will open a window that says "Create Report" in the middle. Click that. It may take a bit, but when it's finished you'll see a blue "document" icon to the right. Click that. It will open a Finder window. Right-click the fie that ends in ".zip" and select "Share" and then "Mail". Paste the following in the "To:" field:

support@1password.com

And then paste this complete code into the "Subject:" field:

[#KEU-12739-241]

Send the email message, and let me know here when you've done that. That will give us a good sense of your starting point on the Mac so we can give you specific instructions on what to do next. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I guess you are all on holiday until Tuesday.....I am very happy for that but you all disappeared Thursday night. As you are kings of communication don't you think "one password" could publish their opening hours? My local shop does...This is constructive criticism.. Don't get tetchy...it's meant to help...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Nope. Some of us are still here. And I've personally been working every day with the exception of Saturday (according to US date/time at least). We just don't have "opening hours" as there are always some folks around somewhere in the world. Anyway, I see we've received your emails, so I'll follow up with you there shortly. Thanks! :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I have come to a conclusion, likely as not, I shall never be able to transfer one password to my iPad. As patient and as enthusiastic as you all are you cannot help. I am computer illiterate...Fine I am now happy with that. I accept it is beyond me. I remember way back when I signed up with one password I got into a terrible mess and one of your colleagues "took over" my lap top and resolved the matter brilliantly. This has all come to a head because I have been in France for a month with my MacBook Air and my iPad mini. My MacBook
    has gone on the blink intermittently for two weeks and I have had no access to my passwords.This has caused some hardships and losses. I have ordered a new MacBook which I will set up when I return to the UK in two weeks. I am now quite honestly begging for one of you to take over my lap top and link it to my iPad...I cannot carry on like the last two weeks again.
    I am desperate.......

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - I'm sorry for the continued trouble. Unfortunately, we don't have telephone or live chat support for 1Password. We're happy to continue helping you either right here in the forum or - probably better, if we're to be discussing details of your specific 1Password setup - via email at support@1password.com . If you don't want to wait until your new MacBook arrives, perhaps you can write in to our email address and let us know exactly where things stand right now? I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending them:

[#MVQ-89251-959]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jonatha only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: MVQ-89251-959

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

hey @jonatha where are you roughly based (country, area)? ...Do you have a friend that can help you out here or perhaps there is someone nearby on this forum that could meet in a coffee shop and help you out?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Please explain to me why you can't simply just take over my machine. You could achieve in minutes what is taking me many unbelievably frustrating months. When I had all my problems wayback setting up 1 P/W on my MacBook it was Dave Teare who phoned me back and took over my laptop...he said he was interested in understanding problems people were having.He sorted out and cleaned up all the failed efforts of mine. I recommended a lot of my friends to 1 P/W after that.
    Let me approach this from another direction. Why don't I just apply for 1P/W from my iPad directly and cut out all the problems? Is that the answer? Can I do that, have a separate join up for each, the Book and the Pad, working independently ?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

James, thank you for taking an interest I'm in Wiltshire, England. I would happily meet anyone from your forum and buy them lunch and the coffee...anywhere in Wiltshire. I'm in Wootton Rivers. So kind.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I have tried to get past (1) on "Get the one password trouble shooting utility"... I don't know what a .zip file is and is "uncompress" your way of saying open? Anyway I can't find it..So to explain the position now is no different from March, I cannot get 1 P/W onto my iPad. I just don't know how to do it. I can't follow what you are trying to tell me. I have lost count of the hours I've spent on this. What I am trying to achieve is being able to take just my iPad with 1P/W on it away with me instead of Ipad and MacBook. How can this be so difficult?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@jonatha I'm just outside of Bicester so you're about an hour to 1 ¼ hrs away. Assuming that I'm not a psycho and you're not a axe-murderer, would you like to meet up somewhere in the middle, say Farringdon?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

James, that would be great. I am in France for two more weeks approx. I'd be happy to come to Bicester. This is really kind of you, I am very grateful, and I promise to leave my axe behind. I shall message you on the forum when I get back!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@jonatha - I have just emailed you (using the address on your profile). J.

• Jacob
    Options

Hope the meetup is a good one! We're here if you have some other questions for us as well. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, @Jacob

I am pretty sure I know what @jonatha wants and how to help him :chuffed:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob how much does the IOS standalone version cost in £ (UK Sterling)? ...I can't tell because I have it in the past and so it just says "open" in the App Store even though I am now on the "personal" subscription. ...I want @jonatha to understand his payment options

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob managed to find the answer - thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

Glad to hear it! :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

...so, I can confirm that @jonatha is definitely not an axe-murderer... :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson Heh. Good to know. ;) Everything turned out OK?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Better than OK... James Henderson was very generous with his time and a very patient natural teacher. He was able to explain to me where and why I was going wrong and went a long way to demystifying 1 Password.... I am extremely grateful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - we never like to hear that 1Password is a "mystery" to anyone. A lot of people work very hard to make sure 1Password is as accessible as possible to the greatest number of people who want it -- because we believe that good security shouldn't be available only to the technorati. Nevertheless, sometimes, things just don't make sense in the way a given person expects things to be...so hats off to @JamesHenderson for being willing and able to make things clearer for you. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I keep passing your comments Lars and I finally feel I must clarify my "mystery" for you. I feel mildly irritated by your reply, "We never like
    to hear 1Password is a mystery to anyone". I spent two years trying to find the way to get 1P/W from my Laptop onto my iPad. James bless him, did get it done, for which I am so grateful, but it remains a mystery as to how he actually achieved it. Unfortunately I have upgraded my iPad so try as I might I can't find my way through again.....I shall keep trying before I bother James again. He was so patient but I do have a problem with your 1P/W computer logic. To me one step does not follow logically to the next. There is no obvious route to follow. For me it is not a language. It is a mystery and it is un-accessible. I use your system to remember my passwords only. For that I am truly truly thankful.
    Jon Lane

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - I'm sorry my comments irritated you, even mildly. What I meant was not that it annoys us, but that we're always sad to learn that despite our best efforts, anyone out there is still having difficulties with 1Password. It means something's not going right, and often means we could've done something better. We want you - and everyone else who uses 1Password - to have a smooth and trouble-free experience that increases your security and provides convenience, not one that creates headaches for you.

We are here nearly 24/7 to assist users, but we can't be beside each user, watching everything you do and helping to keep you on the straight-and-narrow in terms of steps you're taking. So we've got to resort to writing out our instructions either here or via email. We try to make them as straightforward as we can, but sometimes there are gaps between how we understand and speak about things and how users understand them. When that happens, we rely on you to let us know what's missing between what you're experiencing and what you understood us to say in our instructions. Sometimes, we can learn something valuable about how we can refine what we say and how we go about saying it, to avoid confusion and make things as clear as possible to as many users as possible. Other times, it's just a matter of a one-off communication failure. Either way, we do our best to make sure we can assist you.

I promise, it is not an unsolvable technical problem to use 1Password on your new iPad, and if you'd like assistance getting it set up, we'll be happy to do our best to make sure it happens. If you want to do that, please send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com, and we'll be happy to help. If you do send an email, make sure you include a link to this thread and your forum username, so we can "connect the dots." You'll get a reply from our automated BitBot assistant that will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here in a reply to this thread, so we're able to find your email in our queue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that while there are certainly advanced features as well, the fact that you're using it to save your important information is really great, not just for your security but also so you don't lose it: remembering your passwords so that you don't have to. That can be a real life -- and time -- saver. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars for your reply. I am now trying send you an email,I have made a note of the address but I am unsure how to include "a link to this thread" in my email. Please simply explain what that means as it's computer speak ( I don't know it) and how I then get it into an email.
    There is an age old teaching advice..."assume nothing"..with respect you need to assume that with me. I mean this to be only helpful. This will save all of us a lot of time if you guys have the patience and wish to help. I get the bit about the reply and the support number.
    I really do appreciate your kind offer of help.....presumably @jonatha is my forum username?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am now trying send you an email,I have made a note of the address but I am unsure how to include "a link to this thread" in my email. Please simply explain what that means as it's computer speak ( I don't know it) and how I then get it into an email.

@jonatha: You can copy the address for this webpage and paste it into the email. Depending on what operating system and browser you're using, it could be in a difference place, but usually that's at the top.

There is an age old teaching advice..."assume nothing"..with respect you need to assume that with me.

I'm sorry, but that's not really feasible or reasonable. Then I'd be explaining the use of a mouse, keyboard, and screen, and we would never get anywhere. I understand that's not quite what you have in mind, but I think it's important to not to lose sight of the fact that you're also expecting a certain level of tech savvy from others as well. It's more important to find common ground than to try to start at zero -- literally ones and zeros in this case. ;)

I mean this to be only helpful. This will save all of us a lot of time if you guys have the patience and wish to help. I get the bit about the reply and the support number. I really do appreciate your kind offer of help.....

Absolutely. And likewise, thanks for your patience! :)

presumably @jonatha is my forum username?

That's correct. It's what you chose when you signed up for a forum account.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I am forever grateful for 1P/W..... I use to carry around three A4 pages of passwords. What I am trying to do is get 1P/W onto my super up-to-date iPad and take advantage of its portabillity and lightness compared to my laptop on trips. I am not interested in advance features. Lars mentions "it is not an unsolvable technical problem"... I hope that is an exagerration!!!

This discussion has been closed.