How do I get 1 Password from my New MacBook Air onto my iPad ??......Please keep it very simple.

Options
13»

Comments

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, guess I have confused you somehow. For the record I can spell, do capital letters and am capable of original thought etc., My problem I don't understand most computerspeak. Ones and zeros is a joke I assume. But for your infomation I have never 'copy and pasted" never needed to and don't know how. But I now need to so I shall get onto the internet and find out how. I have the address as " support+forum@agilebits " is that correct?
    I really really want to get your programme onto my iPad. Incidentally how do you define 'tech savvy' and what level should I aspire to?
    The Oxford Dictionary says and I quote "Well informed about or proficient in the use of modern technology especially Computers"...
    I will never be "Well informed or Proficient" Brenty, I may, just maybe a very little of each.....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

@jonatha: Oh man, tell me about it! I'm not fully paperless, as some entities still won't allow for that, but it's so great to have less to weigh me down. :chuffed:

Regarding computer proficiency, there's no specific "level" needed; it's just a matter of learning how do do the things you want to be able to do. There's a lot I have no clue about, when it isn't part of my own usage. For example, you just used a term I didn't know: "A4". I've heard it before, but wasn't quite sure what it meant. No complaint here: I just looked it up! When it comes to 1Password, we can help you learn how to use features. It isn't necessary to copy and paste with 1Password or any other software, but certainly it's another tool you can use to accomplish a goal. I think you'll find that a little can go a long way -- every bit helps! You're on the right track looking up information on things you don't already know how to do with technology on the internet. Each new thing you learn in that area can be applied to a lot more than just 1Password. And there's no shame in that: that's where everyone starts, and since it all builds on itself it can be quite liberating. After all, neither of us knew how to look something up on the internet at all at first! We've come a long way. :)

Anyway, if you're able to email us I think that would be best, so we can get more details about your situation without discussing potentially sensitive information here in a public forum, as Lars suggested back in May. Just use this code as the subject, and we'll be notified of your email:

[#MVQ-89251-959]

And indeed, the "ones and zeros" comment was a poor attempt at a joke, since that's what 1Password (and, really, everything else in this world) is composed of. I'll refrain from further attempts at humour unless I'm sure I can get it right. Thanks for bearing with me. ;)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

My situation has changed abruptly! I have damaged the screen on my MacBook.
    It is being picked up for repair this afternoon. Until it is returned I have no access to 1P/W, as, of course, it is not installed on my iPad!
    I feel completely defeated.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

My situation has changed abruptly! I have damaged the screen on my MacBook.
    It is being picked up for repair this afternoon. Until it is returned I have no access to 1P/W, as, of course, it is not installed on my iPad.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Do you have your Emergency Kit? If you have your data in your 1Password.com account, that would allow you to sign in on your iPad (or another device to access it:

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

You'd just need to install 1Password for iOS from the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335

And then choose the "1Password.com" option and enter your account credentials.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Between you and me it’s more than bloody ouch!!!
    But it’s ok i’m past frustration,anger and I am regaining the will to live. You see I now accept 1P/W is not the warm cuddly thing you guys peddle all the time...For me it is a monster. Seeing it as that I feel peaceful. No Brenty I am not going mad just creating an even battlefield in my head! I’ve probably said too much and I’ll now get banned, i’ve insulted the the sacred cow ooops! But for me I can now cope. I will get through this. I cannot survive in the 1P/W world without humour and fight. Still with me Brenty or have you called for the White Coats? I opened the links above and amazingly I seemed to have a “First Aid of sorts but wait for it it asked me to sign in and put in my secret number.....before I would have screamed now....I laughed out loud...you see I found the “secret number...took a photo of it with my iPhone ‘cos I have’nt learnt the cut and paste yet. So if I find my way back to that place again I can maybe figure the next step!".......
    So as this has taken 1 1/2 hours I am going to stop for breakfast. They are collecting my MacBook at midday so I guess it will be away for a week. Now a question Brenty, could I, in theory, get IP/W onto this IPad without my MacBook present. Is it linked in some way? Or is the IPad independent? A yes or no would be fine if you know...
    So I accept I could be without 1P/W for time being but I have my sanity!!! And I now have the mental strength to try and figure out the instructions you’ve supplied.
    If you do ban me as you would not want this to appear on your forum,( I think it might help other lost souls), I will understand Brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: If there's an insult in there somewhere, it's gone right over my head. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is what it is. As long as you don't post spam or anything downright inappropriate, you won't be banned. It can be good to vent a bit anyway. I'm actually without my Mac currently as well, and to say it's not easy is an understatement!

Anyway, moving on. Were you able to download 1Password for iOS from the App Store on your iPad?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

No......but I’ll have a try....

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know how you make out.

Ben

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Still no but will try a bit longer...,,the App Store is NOT user friendly. I have spent an hour trying to find 1P/W for IOS on it, any ideas?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

When and if I find it what then, is this going to help me get 1P/W onto my iPad?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I have found the site but not how to load onto my iPad. For your information these sites need lessons in communication. Completely un-user friendly. What’s wrong with you (generalisation) computer guys? Is it a desire to preserve an impression of mystery?

• Ben
    Options

I suppose the same could be asked of any profession that involves building or working on things that have some level of complexity... mechanics, engineers, etc. You can find 1Password for iOS (and thus your iPad) here:

1Password 7 for iOS - iTunes App Store

You install it by tapping on the green "install" button next to the 1Password icon. Please note that 1Password requires iOS version 12 in order to be installed. If you do not see an install button it may be because your device is not running iOS version 12.

Ben

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Your link takes me to IP/W manager site with an invitation to join. Probably not what you intended....you missed my important question. I am trying to get 1P/W onto my iPad. Do you have any thoughts on that?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@jonatha Try clicking on @Ben 's link while reading this forum thread on your iPad. It will take you to the App Store and you can download it directly onto your iPad. Apparently, Ben didn't actually miss your important question. hth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Indeed, the link both Ben and I sent in our replies will take you right to the 1Password for iOS app listing in the App Store listing if you follow it on an iOS device. I think we both assumed you were using your iPad since you mentioned the Mac had to be taken in for repair. Sorry if that was a bad assumption. Alternatively, if you open the App Store on the iPad and then go to Search (the "magnifying glass" icon) you can search for 1Password there to find it and install it.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ho! Clicked Ben’s link, and yes Brenty i’m on my iPad, I only sent my MacBook off yesterday, the link takes me to “delete primary vault to let you use your 1Password account to unlock your 1 Password”. Is that what I have to do? Doesn’t sound right to me team. I shall now dedicate the rest of my life to locating the App Store route.
    This experience is like a maze. You look at it from above where the way is clear, i’m on the ground where for two and a half years (fact) I have been hitting dead ends and going nowhere but still looking to link my IPad with 1P/W. The temporary loss of 1P/W
    has spurred me on again. George Orwell summed my position up rather well...
    “Lying on the ground having your head stamped on until the end of time”
    So to cheer my self up I’m off to try and find the App Store route to the sunny uplands...... “.I may be some time....”

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

No luck.....can’t get 1P/W to show. The links just don’t link for me. It’s a fail I fear.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Decision time! I have decided not to pursue trying to instal 1P/W onto my iPad.
    I shall revert back to traditional passwords. But thank you for all your efforts I do appreciate them but I lack the “tech savvy” (your words) to grasp what you mean.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - OK, thanks -- I'm sorry to hear that this wasn't workable for you, in the end, but as long as you're using secure, unique passwords at all your sites, we'll rest a bit easier, knowing you're practicing good internet hygiene. Stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.