How do I active my Single License on a second computer [Download 1Password 4]

Options
NewZeal
NewZeal
Community Member
edited February 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have obtained my license number in an email with the instructions:

Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
Register: Select Help > Enter License Key…, and enter the above key.

Where 'the above key' refers to my license key.

So, I download 1password. I assume I then run it and I get a login screen with the fields:

• sign address
  • email address
  • secret key
  • master password

If I try logging in without a secret key, which apparently I don't need with this license, and I get secret key required form error.
At the top is a small menu with 1password and help as options, so I click on help but there is no where to enter the license key.

It would be great if someone could interpret these instructions for me so I can activate 1password. I've had this running on this computer prior to its SSD melting and being replaced, so I already know the license allows me to have more than one instance.

Thanks

Kent

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @NewZeal,

Sorry for the confusion!

If you have a standalone license, you will need to download a standalone version of 1Password 4 for Windows from here, as 1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password.com accounts and does not support local vaults and standalone licenses at he moment. You should be all set after that.

On a related note, we are planning to bring the support for local vaults and standalone licenses in 1Password 7 for Windows. We are working really hard on it and it is currently in alpha.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, we are always ready to help. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• NewZeal
    NewZeal
    Community Member
    Options

So that was confusing.

The first time I went to https://agilebits.com/downloads and downloaded the Windows installer, I got 1PasswordSetup-6.8.496

I have retraced my steps and this time, when I go to the page https://agilebits.com/downloads and click on downloads, I get this version: 1Password-4.6.2.626

When I click on the installer 1password installs and works fine but it is a trial version. That is enough to get me started. I'll work out the rest as I go along I guess...

• @NewZeal: There are two versions for Windows right now. 1Password 6 is for folks using a 1Password.com account and 1Password 4 (standalone version) is for folks with standalone licenses, like you have. Both are on our downloads page, but if you're downloading quickly, you can end up with the wrong one. We hope 1Password 7 will put that problem to bed since we'll only have one app once it's ready. :+1:

The instructions to choose Help > Enter License Key and enter the license key your received should get rid of that trial message for you. Also, if you haven't yet, you'll want to uninstall 1Password 6. It's best to have only one version installed if you need both. And there's no need to figure things out yourself, if you don't want to. We're happy to help if you have any questions. :chuffed:

• NewZeal
    NewZeal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the helpful replies. So now my problem is that 1password 4 has not obtained all the items from my vault (version 6) so I am thinking of upgrading to an account. I go to the place on the 1password to do this:
    https://start.1password.com/signup/account
    And it says I already have an account. So I follow the link to sign in and I get this:
    https://my.1password.com/signin
    That page has the same Catch-22 flaw previously outlined: I don't have a secret key.

Twelve months ago I did this process with 1password and couldn't believe how quickly, intuitively and easy it was to install 1password on another computer and I was able to install and use 1password 6. My experience counters what you say here, Greg: "1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password.com accounts and does not support local vaults and standalone licenses at he moment." I have just been using 1Password 6 for a year on this very same Windows computer before the SSD went bust.

I am grateful for both of your replies, and the customer service is awesome, but it seems to me that the underlying facts about 1Password are not at the same level of performance that you two operate at. When I post a comment on this forum, there is no indication that:

• the post has submitted
    • if you attempt to post repeatedly you get locked out

Because after I post a comment, the comment stays in the editor making it look as if the comment has not submitted at all. My comment from yesterday was still in here when I arrived. I work as a web developer. I would suggest you submit all of the above to your software team to sort out.

Thanks again

Kent

• @NewZeal: Back in the day, 1Password 6 could read standalone vaults (and still can if you already opened one up in the past), but it has never been able to write to them, so editing your items or adding new ones wasn't a possibility. I wonder if perhaps you ended up migrating to an account a while ago without intending to, or possibly opening an account alongside your standalone vault so that you were able to save new items? Alternatively, you may have just ended up opening the wrong vault in 1Password 4. Do you have another device with 1Password set up properly, by chance? The best next step may be to move this to e-mail and take a look at your setup on those devices so we're working with some more detailed information and I'm not taking (perhaps ill-advised) shots in the dark or having to interrogate you about various settings screens. Let us know and we'll get you instructions to send us some stuff to help out, if that sounds like the best plan.

As for the forum, we use a third-party service for much of it and while we have flexibility to customize, there are definitely a few tweaks we'd love to make and can't. Still, the system serves us better than anything else thus far, so we've stuck with it and it certainly has improved over the years. I'll pass along your feedback all the same, though, as I'm no expert and there may yet be improvements we can make. :+1:

As for setup on Windows, it can be over-complicated with the two apps, along with some changes to future plans and 1Password 6 itself over the years that lead to some differing starting points. There are still happy paths for both standalone vault users and those with a 1Password membership, but the latter is definitely much easier right now, while the former can be tough depending on your starting point. As I mentioned before, 1Password 7 should alleviate much of this, but until we get there Greg and I both are happy to lend a helping hand when things go sideways. :chuffed:

Let us know about other devices and we'll devise a master plan from there.

This discussion has been closed.