How can I export a linked attachment out of 1Password for Families

nacohen
nacohen
Community Member

I have a PDF linked to one of my 1password items (a scan of my passport). I was trying to export it back out but could not figure out how to do so. When I choose share it only shares the 1password item not the attached PDF.
Thanks--
Norm Cohen

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: via 1Password.com or Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:exporting attachments

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nacohen - I notice you put "1Password.com OR Dropbox" for your sync type: in this case, it matters, because in standalone 1Password vaults (like the kind synced via Dropbox), such items would be attachments to a particular item. In 1password.com, such items are Documents, with their own UUIDs. In the latter case, clicking on the linked Document should take you to the Document itself, which can be shared just like any other 1Password item -- but it won't be shared by default if you try sharing the item it's linked to. If the item in question is an attachment in a standalone vault, you'll need to click to view, open it in Preview, then save it out to your Desktop or use the Share sheet in Preview, if you're only sharing via Air Drop or Messages.

• nacohen
    nacohen
    Community Member

When I tried sharing the 1password.com document item, it shared as an encrypted file. I could see no way to get the actual pdf item out to open in a PDF viewer. I could see the contents in quick look but did not see a way to open in Preview or some other PDF viewer. What am I missing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nacohen - double-click the file in Quick Look or click the Open with Preview button at the top.

• nacohen
    nacohen
    Community Member

Thank you so much. Once I did that I could save the pdf outside of 1Password. Don't know how I missed that, but really appreciate the help.

I had thought there would be a way to drag and drop the attachment or export it as a menu option...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a tough call because we don't want people to accidentally take something they've secured in 1Password and save it somewhere else where it is no longer protected that way. I agree that drag and drop would be nice, but one big challenge is informing the user of that, and also that any changes made outside of 1Password will not be saved in it. You'd have to re-add the modified file. Maybe we can come up with a solution in the future though. Cheers! :)

• r3cgm
    r3cgm
    Community Member

I appreciate those concerns, brenty. However, there's another use case that I think is just as likely and creates potentially worse problems. Exports. I periodically do a full Export (in both .csv and .1pif) and had been seeing a warning that I should have been paying more attention to. Something along the lines of "Documents could not be saved". Sure enough, the drivers licenses, passports, etc.. none were being backed up to the .1pif file. In the unlikely event I had wanted to perform an Import, those files would have been lost.

In my opinion, it would be better to find a way to click>drag out the documents, or fix the Export feature so that it included the documents, rather than prevent this capability just to protect people who didn't realize that once they dragged out their documents they weren't protected any more.

Of course, we could have our cake and eat it too. Just make the .1pif format support embedded Documents. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

How would they be lost? They'll be backed up offsite automatically, in your account on the 1Password server, along with the rest of your encrypted data.

But yeah, we do want to iterate on 1PIF in order to support the newer data structures 1Password accounts use. I can't say when that will be done, but it's on our list. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.