Had to return to 6...

KBeat
KBeat
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

A few issues that I was unable to solve.

1. Once I deleted 6 completely from my system, I was no longer able to use 1Password with Safari or Chrome. With 6 installed, but not running, the extensions worked. The extensions, even the 7 beta extension in Safari, do not seem to recognize that 1Password is installed on the system unless 6 is still installed.
  2. I'm unable to quit 1Password 7 when it's open. I have to force quit it every time.
  3. 7 beta does not remove or disable 1Password mini when you run it the first time. This means 6 is still running in the background. I manually disabled it within 6, but then you get problem 1 listed above.

I love the new interface, and I especially love markdown in notes, but I'm going to have to wait on a more stable release.

1Password Version: 7 Beta
Extension Version: 7 Beta
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud & Account

Comments

• Hi @KBeat,

I think some of the issues you had stem from having 6 installed.

For issue 1, I suggest quitting 1Password 6 completely (including mini) zipping up 1Password 6 and removing the unzipped copy. Then reinstall 1Password 7 if you haven't already. After that, restart your browsers and they should see 1Password 7 and not the old version 6 mini.

For issue 2, when you say unable to quit, do you mean that it was still listed in the Activity monitor, or that the main window and dock icon did not go away? Note, that when you quit, a 1Password 7 process is left behind to handle browser integration. If you want to completely quit, press Command Control Option Q (or hold control and option and choose Completely Quit from the 1Password menu).

For issue 3, if you see a 1Password mini process running in the Activity monitor, it means you are still running version 6 mini. There is no "1Password mini" process in version 7. If you quit it and zip up the copy of 1Password 6, that issue should go away.

I do hope you give it another try. But if you prefer to wait until later, I recommend deleting this folder:
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/
    This will remove all 1Password 7 data. So when you use version 6 for now, and upgrade later, it'll automatically bring over what will be your current version 6 data at the time.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

@KBeat I found that if I selected Quit from 1Password Mini that it quit the app. Haven't tried restarting my Mac yet.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

Restarting did not fix Quit in main app.

• @Dianeoforegon

Did you see Kevin’s comment about quitting 1Password 7 above?

when you say unable to quit, do you mean that it was still listed in the Activity monitor, or that the main window and dock icon did not go away? Note, that when you quit, a 1Password 7 process is left behind to handle browser integration. If you want to completely quit, press Command Control Option Q (or hold control and option and choose Completely Quit from the 1Password menu).

Ben

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies.

By "unable to quit" I mean that pressing "CMD-Q" or selecting "Quit 1Password" from the app menu does nothing. The 1Password browser remains open on screen. It means that when I try to logout, the logout fails as macOS reports 1Password still running and the OS is unable to close it. Pressing the close button on the browser merely closes the browser window, the app remains running (as intended, just pointing out it's no help here). It is necessary to force quit the application every time.

When I quit 1Password 6, as well as 1Password mini, and then removed 1Password 6 from my computer (and even restarted for good measure), I was no longer able to access 1Password through Safari or Chrome. Pressing the 1Password button in Safari did nothing, and pressing it in Chrome reports that 1Password must be installed on the system first to use the extension. This despite having 1Password 7 open on my system and having logged into my 1Password account on Chrome.

Oddly, when I had 1Password 6 still installed on my system, but no longer running in the background or running the mini app, both extensions worked fine. It's almost like they look to confirm "1Password" application is installed, but don't recognize "1Password 7". I have no idea if that's really how it works, it's just a guess from my experience with the beta.

The term "installer" is used regularly as in "the installer will clean up 6". Is this a reference to background activity that occurs when you first launch the 7 beta? My download had no installer, just a zipped version of the actual app to drop in the application folder. Regardless, nothing was cleaned up. 6 still ran in the background, mini still ran in the toolbar and I had to manually disable them. If this is recommended before installing 7, this should probably be included as instructions with the beta download.

If I give it another go, what is the recommended process. Remove 6 entirely first, then add 7 to the app folder and lauch?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018

Hi @KBeat

There was intended to be an installer, rather than just a zipped copy of the app. Unfortunately the initial blog post went out without that, and linked directly to the zip. Current downloads will have the installer. Please try the following:

1Password 7 requires installation in the /Applications folder. The installer will do this for you. It cannot run (properly) from another location.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hey Ben,

So I don't know if it's some fixes made in beta 3, or if it was running an actual installer this time, but the browser extensions are once again working. Thank you!

Oddly though, I'm still unable to quit the application. This occurs even after a restart, with 1Password the only application I've opened. Not the background process mind you, but the actual application as described above in my earlier post.

FWIW I'm 10.13.4 (17E197a), so it may be a issue with that macOS build, but for now nothing happens, the 1Password browser remains open and it remains running in the Dock, when I attempt to quit the application.

For now I'm just hiding the application, but obviously it's something to look at with 10.13.4. Let me know if you need logs or anything.

Cheers!

• Ah! I wonder if 10.13.4 is a factor... I don’t have that running anywhere right now but I’ll check with the team and see if anyone is running it.

Thanks for the update.

Ben

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

@Ben

when you say unable to quit, do you mean that it was still listed in the Activity monitor, or that the main window and dock icon did not go away?

I meant that when selecting quit from the Dock icon on in the menu bar, the main app does not quit. As @KBeat mentioned it keeps you from restarting. Same behavior today in b3.

B3 did help with all the processes running in Activity Monitor.

10.13.4 Beta (17E197a)

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Hey Diane, you're running High Sierra beta as well. It appears from some exchanges with Agile that it's likely the issue. I'm sure they'll fix that up in a beta shortly with 10.13.4 likely dropping today or tomorrow. In the interim we just need to hide it when running, and force quit it when trying to logout or restart.

• Yep, I suspect 10.13.4 is the common thread. Thanks folks.

Ben

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

FYI, with 1Password 7 beta 4 and the final 10.13.4 release, the inability to quit issue has been resolved.

• That is great to hear. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

No problem Ben, thank you for all your prompt replies and assistance. :)

• You're most welcome. :)

Ben

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member

Ben,

Just wanted to note that there are several other discussions complaining of the inability to quit 1P7 beta 5

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sonenthal - thanks for the heads-up. :)

This discussion has been closed.