License Information is wrongly picked up from PayPal Account Details

yphoenix
yphoenix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Steps to produce

1. Upgrade to standalone 7.0b3 using PayPal.
  2. Use a company paypal account, or somebody elses who offers to pay for you

Expected behavior

I would expect my license information to stay the same or be asked who to register the product to.

Actual behavior

My product is now licensed to the person who paid, not me! This sucks!

Additional information

7.0b3
macOS

1Password Version: 7.0b3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @yphoenix! Thanks for reporting, but I'm not sure there's much we can do about it. For 1Password 7 for Mac and forward, licenses are sold via Fastspring, and this is literally how their store works: you pay the cost, you get your name on the license. There aren't any options (that I'm aware of) to change that. I suspect this is to prevent fraud/license sharing, but that would be a question best directed to Fastspring support.

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

That feels like a cop-out. Maybe somebody at 1password should talk to Fastspring. They are your payment processor not mine. That is you pay them money not I. I pay AgileBits money and really wasn't expecting this.

Who the product is licensed to and who actually paid for it are two different things and should be treated as such. If anything as it was a company PayPal account it should have taken the name of the company (which would have been acceptable) and not the name of the contact person within the company that is associated with the PayPal account.

Really it should be configurable. If I, out of the goodness of my heart, wanted to buy copies of 1Password for all my friends and pay for it, I would want the copies licensed to my friends each in their own name and not all licensed to me.

It didn't use to be this way and shouldn't need to be either.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018

Sorry @yphoenix, for now this is working as intended. The person who makes the payment is who the license is registered to.

Ben

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

Then my top suggestion is that this be changed. Until it is nobody can buy your product for somebody else. Unless of course you allow 'gift certificates valid for the purchase of...'. There are plenty of users out there who don't know that they should be using a password manager or don't want to invest in one and the only way to get them to do it is to buy a copy for them. That's what I did with my girlfriend. I paid for it but it is licensed to her (just checked). She is on v6 (think I paid when it was v5). If I wanted to upgrade her to v7 in the future.... I couldn't without making her pay for it and giving her to $$$. Doesn't make for a good gift does it?

Also I upgraded from v6 to v7, why did my license information change at all? I know, you changed payment processor.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it just seems like a crazy restriction to me. I can buy practically any other software for other people, book airline tickets for somebody and spend my money and it is still theirs to use, enjoy and experience. In 20+ years of buying software online this is the first time I have run into this issue. Which is why I'm so thrown by it.

• Thanks for the feedback, @yphoenix. We do offer gift certificates for 1Password memberships, which especially for folks who haven’t used 1Password before is the direction we’d point people.

Also I upgraded from v6 to v7, why did my license information change at all? I know, you changed payment processor.

Just to be clear: there are no upgrades from 1Password 6 to 7. It is a separate license.

Ben

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

Just to be clear: there are no upgrades from 1Password 6 to 7. It is a separate license.

Yep, that is the bit that isn't clear. I can totally understand a whole new license thing, especially if you are using a 3rd party license provider. Having something that suggests buying a gift card is a good way to go. Gift cards are great for those on the subscription model but don't really work for those who prefer the standalone model as the gift card value doesn't match the purchase price. Still, I expect the subscription model is where you are mainly focussed and for end users may be OK. For businesses it is often easier to get a one-off charge approved than a re-occurring fee even if it works out roughly the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for yours! Weirdly (or, maybe not so weird), a lot of businesses also seem to like the predictability of the subscription model. Otherwise they have to try to push through a budget for new licenses when a major version is released. This way all of it — the software, the service, and premier support — are all included and can easily be budgeted for. I can see the other side of the coin too, but then again I have to admit it's easier for me to budget for one-time costs myself since I don't have to write up any proposals or get approvals up a chain of command. So purchasing as a consumer remains significantly simpler...provided I have the money. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.