1Password 7 Beta and Safari - Clicking a login does not open a new tab with the saved address.

jkim
jkim
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

OS X High Sierra, 10.13.3
Safari 11.0.3
Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (64-bit)
1Password 7 Beta-5

Hi, Agilebits.

Here's my situation.
1. I have both Chrome and Safari set up on my Mac.
2. I use Chrome for work and Safari for personal.
3. Chrome is set as default browser.

On 1Password 6, I was able use the extensions to click on a login and have a new tab open to the saved address and auto-fill the login info within the respective browsers. 1Password 7 only behaves this way with Chrome and not Safari. Also, IF Chrome is closed, clicking on a login within Safari launches Chrome to open the saved address.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Beta-5
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @jkim,

Open and Fill has not yet made its debut for the new Safari App Extension, its coming in a future beta.

Rudy

• jnsmith02
    jnsmith02
    Community Member

I am on Sierra 10.12.6 and the browser extension does NOT work. I DO NOT intend to upgrade to 10.13 for some time due to new file system. Is Password 7 going to work on Sierra?? Without open and fill it is pretty worthless.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @jnsmith02,

While there is work to be done on the (very) new Safari extension, what features are known to be working, such as filling the open page, work perfectly well in Sierra and don't require High Sierra. I know because I haven't made the move to High Sierra yet either. I'm waiting for full support for APFS in the disk utilities that I've become accustomed to so I'm patiently biding my time. The new beta that Rudy referred to will support Sierra.

If filling the open page isn't working for you or 1Password mini isn't displayed when you click on the 1Password Browser Extension button in the Safari toolbar it sounds like a connection issue. Can you check the following for me please.

1. The 1Password application bundle must reside in /Applications/ due to sandboxing. Stored anywhere else, including ~/Applications/ and the Safari extension cannot connect.
    2. Ensure the old extension is removed (Safari should be doing this automatically) and try toggling the enabled state of the new extension.

If you're still finding the new Safari extension is unresponsive can you send in a diagnostic report for me please and we'll see what it tells us. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post that here it will ensure I can quickly locate the diagnostic report.

• jnsmith02
    jnsmith02
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

In Safari, if I select a login from the extension it does nothing. If I go on over to the login edit page and hit open and fill, it finally opens the login page, but does NOT fill the pw. At that point I can go to the extension and go to the login and now it will fill the pw. And the same thing happens when I go to the app.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Open and fill is not currently implemented in the new 1Password 7 Safari extension.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Stephen_C for reiterating what littlebobbytables said up above. Open & Fill will be coming in a later release of 1Password 7 for Mac. Thanks for helping us test out these pre-release beta versions, folks! :)

• jnsmith02
    jnsmith02
    Community Member

7.0.ß8 seems to have fixed the open and fill problem in Safari - and everything seems to be working ok so far. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jnsmith02,

Open-and-fill did indeed return in BETA-8. I'm sure we still have improving to do as we learn more about the idiosyncrasies of Safari App Extensions and its API but this is definitely positive progress towards the new extension :smile:

This discussion has been closed.