Safari extension does not match app version

sig_eigei
sig_eigei
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Is it intended that the Safari extension version does not match the version extension version (7.0b4 vs. 7.0b5)?

1Password Version: 7.0b5 (70000005)
Extension Version: 7.0b4
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud / Dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

That's not the case for me: I have 7.0 b5 for both. Maybe a restart of Safari or reboot of the computer may fix the issue?

Stephen

• sig_eigei
    sig_eigei
    Community Member

yes, a restart of Safari fixes the issue, however, I don't think this qualifies as expected behavior.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sig_eigei - thanks for reporting, we appreciate it! :)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Intended? Probably not, but it's expected: I believe that app-bound Safari extensions are loaded when Safari launches only. If the app is updated with Safari still open, the new extension will not be picked up until Safari launches again.

Corentin

• Indeed @cortig! Relaunching Safari will update the extension metadata there. You're welcome to file a bug report with Apple to see this updated automatically.

• sig_eigei
    sig_eigei
    Community Member

perhaps 1P7 should prompt the user to shut and reopen browsers to ensure the successful update of the extension after an app update.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sig_eigei,

The side-effects of running a slightly older version of the extension will be quite minimal and we're pretty confident that any prompting to restart their browser after each 1Password update will see us fielding a lot of very passionate demands. We know this because of what we see with Chrome which is also outside of our control. At least with Safari everything will continue to run as it should and it will update by itself when the user naturally closes Safari - even if that takes days or weeks. Yes it would be nice if Safari picked up the newer version straight away but as long as it doesn't stop 1Password working after an update that's behaviour I can work with.

This discussion has been closed.